Search the forum,

Discuss Adhesive not set after a week..... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mammamia

Hi all
Im after a bit of advice please !
we are in the process of laying matt porcelain tiles over a ceramic tiled floor in the kitchen. The exisiting floor is sound and level (we just dont like it!) and have used ready mixed adhesive/grout and a week later we still seem to have tiles that are not stuck down....
Around the edges of the tiles seem to be set solid but in the middle of tiles the adhesive hasnt yet set (we dug one up and the adhesive was still soft in the centre with only about a centimetre border around the outside having set). We havent grouted yet as were told it would take longer to dry so have allowed a week rather than the stated 48 hours but am just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and any idea just how much longer it will take to dry?
any responses would be appreciated as its quite a large area (35 sq metres) and the thought of taking it all up is depressing!
thanks in advance

C

Colour Republic

I'm afraid you have used the wrong adhesive, there is nothing for it but to pull the floor up, clean, then start again

G

Gazzer

What is the name of this adhesive. Tubbed adhesive is no good for floors and definately not for porcelain tiles or tiles of this size...Totally wrong.

C

craig4749

Ready mixed adhesive with porcelain tiles is not advisable as the tile will not absorb any of the moisture from the adhesive as stated before it can take a hell of a long time to set on the floor. What size trowel was used? How big are the grout lines spaced for? Also with it being a lot colder now that will also effect the drying time of the adhesive.

M

Mammamia

What is the name of this adhesive. Tubbed adhesive is no good for floors and definately not for porcelain tiles or tiles of this size...Totally wrong.

Its Unibond Extra Strong Waterproof Adhesive and Grout ........ we asked in about 3 different tile places and two of them said it would be okay but it would have gone off by now wouldn't it :huh2:

Is it maybe because they are bigger floor tiles ? they are 50x50 rather than the 30x30 we have underneath......
So will it never go off at all ?.....:(

G

Gazzer

Its Unibond Extra Strong Waterproof Adhesive and Grout ........ we asked in about 3 different tile places and two of them said it would be okay but it would have gone off by now wouldn't it :huh2:

Is it maybe because they are bigger floor tiles ? they are 50x50 rather than the 30x30 we have underneath......
So will it never go off at all ?.....:(

Utter rubbish. Take them up and re tile using a cement based adhesive for porcelain tiles.

M

Mammamia

Ready mixed adhesive with porcelain tiles is not advisable as the tile will not absorb any of the moisture from the adhesive as stated before it can take a hell of a long time to set on the floor. What size trowel was used? How big are the grout lines spaced for? Also with it being a lot colder now that will also effect the drying time of the adhesive.

Trowel is 4mm notches and the grout lines are about 6mm (used tile spacers)

C

craig4749

I agree with Sir Ramic, need to lift them then use a powder based floor adhesive which is cement based. A flexible one if going down onto a wooden floor and if concrete non flexible. Im not a tiler I only sell tioles but I know the tilers at my neck of the woods would use a larger notch trowel than 4mm most would go for an 8mm, this will also allow air to get under the tiles to help the adhesive set quicker.

M

Mammamia

So you have tiled on tile as well..?

Yes, we have. We were also told that this would be OK as the existing floor is sound (concrete underneath the ceramic tiles). Is this not the case?

If nothing changes, will the adhesive never set? I now realise that it's not the best stuff, but ripping the whole thing up will be a big job for us.

C

craig4749

It may set yes, but could take weeks:thumbsdown: However from what you have described it doesnt seem the tiles are actually sticking though, I understand it may be a big job but I feel you have no alternative but to lift them, as the longer you leave them now the harder it will be to get the adhesive off the tiles in order to re do the job.:mad2:

G

Gazzer

Cant find teh spec on this adhesive (funny that eh ?) does it say suitable for Porcelain?

Reply to Adhesive not set after a week..... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen