Search the forum,

Discuss Adhesive for 300 x 600 x 10 Slate Tiles - Larsen used and no good in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Ok, So no primer was applied..

what finish is on the plaster.. is it dusty or is it quite shiny..?

D

Dean Pedder

Ok, So no primer was applied..

what finish is on the plaster.. is it dusty or is it quite shiny..?

Hi Dave.... Probably more dusty than shiny as it I sanded the matt emulsion off it before tiling.... Thanks, Dean

D

DHTiling

Ah right.. what has happened is the dust has prohibited adhesion of the adhesive..

prime with a suitable acrylic primer( instructions on the bottle) and then start again.. make sure you get full contact and i do hope you have got your weights correct..

Also dean, let us know how it goes mate.. maybe some pics hey.?

D

Dean Pedder

Ah right.. what has happened is the dust has prohibited adhesion of the adhesive..

prime with a suitable acrylic primer( instructions on the bottle) and then start again.. make sure you get full contact and i do hope you have got your weights correct..

Also dean, let us know how it goes mate.. maybe so me pics hey.?

Thanks Dave.. will do - I have some pics before the tiles started falling off! I think I will be belt and braces with this one and install some no more ply backing boards... I'm not worried about damage to the new whirlpool (although a pain), more worried if someone had been in the bath and a 5kg slate tile would have landed on their heads - not a good situation... I'll opt for backing boards and Mapei adhesive for the walls and save the Larsen for the floor area... Pics to follow... Thanks, Dean

D

DHTiling

If you want, Mapei kera-flex maxi is a good one for stone.. work clean and seal before you grout..

Look forward to the pics.. if you need any more advice then just ask dean.. always someone about to help..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
... I'm not worried about damage to the new whirlpool (although a pain), more worried if someone had been in the bath and a 5kg slate tile would have landed on their heads - not a good situation...

How often do I say this?!?!?!?!?

And it's becoming more of a problem, due to the fact stone is the popular choice at the mo it seems.

I wish tile outlets would STRESS the importance of choosing the right products and going through the right procedures. A simple A4 sheet with a bunch of advice with every stone sale would pay dividends. The customer could leave this with the tiles and sure enough even an amateur tiler would see something's wrong if it was?

Though as Mike said (I think it was in this post?) - the tiler has to always be to blame really as it's only them that can stop the job due to a reason that can affect the job. The customer, the shop, the manufacturers, nobody else can be fully to blame like the tiler can be no matter what's gone wrong on a job.

R

Rich

Would just like to add, go easy on Larsen. If you had used Mapei or any other brand without a primer, the same thing would have happened.

It wasnt a fault with the product but a fault in the substrate prep.

Hope you get it all sorted :thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Larsen is a sound family-owned Irish firm. I don't think anybody was knocking them per say. I think this is an adhesive we'll see more of in the future.

D

Dean Pedder

Larsen is a sound family-owned Irish firm. I don't think anybody was knocking them per say. I think this is an adhesive we'll see more of in the future.

No... not knocking the Irish, I'm part Irish myself!.... The fault as I see it is between the manufacturer and the supplier... I told the supplier my requirements, that I was laying the large format slate on both floor and walls... therefore I should have been advised the use of a suitable latex base primer as well... obviously they are dealing with Larsen and are buying quantities of their adhesives, therefore it is only fair that the Larsen's agent in the UK should make the supplier aware of any ancillary or complimentary products... it's in the interest of the supplier and the manufacturer to make sure that 5kg tiles stay on the wall and not land on anyone's bonce... and let's face it, for the sake of an extra £10, would have saved damage to my new bath and a whole heap of time removing tiles off walls, then adhesive off tiles then relaying the same tiles again... let alone the cost of the wasted adhesive... Thanks, Dean

Reply to Adhesive for 300 x 600 x 10 Slate Tiles - Larsen used and no good in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen