Search the forum,

Discuss Accept or reject job? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

thomashenry

If you just let them get away with the **** ups with a small sweetner in price they'll just keep on thinking what there doing is acceptable and move on and mess up the next one and next one... Setting out is a basic tiling skill, you never stick your first tile on til you know where the last will land. A 30mm gap to ceiling could be sorted with lowering the ceiling, the floors a different matter if its already tiled. Do not pay untill your happy, its you that will have to lie in the bath or sit on the loo looking at the mess they've left behind..

I'm just struggling a bit with the idea of ripping out and binning 20sqm of tiles because the gap at the bottom of the wall is 15mm rather than 3mm. It seems so wasteful. Not to mention that the immense disruption is then prolonged another month or so. Tiles are matt white, grout is white... perhaps after a few weeks I won't even notice it. Then again maybe I will.

I appreciate the advice I've been given on here, coming from professional tilers, and I do think the job is poor, but there are practical downsides to binning it now, and I have to ask myself how important that gap (or lack of it) is.....

S

Spare Tool

I'm just struggling a bit with the idea of ripping out and binning 20sqm of tiles because the gap at the bottom of the wall is 15mm rather than 3mm. It seems so wasteful. Not to mention that the immense disruption is then prolonged another month or so. Tiles are matt white, grout is white... perhaps after a few weeks I won't even notice it. Then again maybe I will.

I appreciate the advice I've been given on here, coming from professional tilers, and I do think the job is poor, but there are practical downsides to binning it now, and I have to ask myself how important that gap (or lack of it) is.....
Only you know what you can live with, its your call...think in your heart of hearts you 'know' its a bad job or you wouldn't be on here, question is will you be able to live with it for the next ten years?

O

One Day

Builder/Plumber you say?
I don't mean to be rude, I understand your predicament - honestly, we see it every week.
But why don't people choose say a Handyman/hairdresser to do the service on their car?
Or a window cleaner/dogwalker to decorate the lounge?

Builders and plumbers should stick to what they are (allegedly) qualified to do: Bricks and pipes.

W

WetSaw

A lovely 15mm border of white grout won't be white for very long. Also, you shouldn't have 3mm grout at the bottom of the wall it should be silicone.
You're not wasting 20m2 of tiles, whoever put them up so poorly has.

W

Waluigi

Builder/Plumber you say?
I don't mean to be rude, I understand your predicament - honestly, we see it every week.
But why don't people choose say a Handyman/hairdresser to do the service on their car?
Or a window cleaner/dogwalker to decorate the lounge?

Builders and plumbers should stick to what they are (allegedly) qualified to do: Bricks and pipes.

:kissingclosed:

Reply to Accept or reject job? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen