Search the forum,

Discuss A good slate tile sealer/ hardener in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Phil0006

Hi
I have recently installed slate split face tiles in my bathroom. The tiler has advised they are quiet brittle and is nervous that once he starts grouting the tiles will flake away. Is there a sealer that also hardens the tiles which will make grouting easier

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Use an impregnator/ colour enhancer impreg only in bathroom / wet areas, these will not bind slate , but will take you through the grouting process, impregnate a spare unlaid tile and check grout release on this prior to completing the area. If grout contaminates face after impregnation ,tiler may need to bag or gun grout rather than slurry. If ever you get flakes- ensure dry , just wipe a coat over the fresh open pores.

P

Phil0006

Thanks for all the advice I have purchase a slate residue cleaner and a impregnate product and a mortar gun to grout the gaps

Reply to A good slate tile sealer/ hardener in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen