Search the forum,

Discuss 825x550x20 limestone on underfloor heated suspended 12mm ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fraser

Hello fellas,

I have a customer wanting to fix 825x550x20 limestone tiles on underfloor heated, suspended 12mm ply floor.
Due to bifold doors, the height is restricted, so cannot overlay ply.
I'm getting mixed advice from tile suppliers, underfloor heating manufacturers, and adhesive suppliers.

There is 55 square metres to be laid.

Questions.

Would cross laid 6mm ply be better than 12?
Would Nicobond "Plastic Ply" solve the problem?
Is ditra matting going to be effective?
Two part Mapei flexible straight on the ply?

At the moment, the best solution is plastic ply with 2 part flex,
but the materials cost is well over two grand.

I have in past tiled on suspended underfloor heated 6mm with two part with 300x300 slate,
and it was fine (not without protest), but would never spec it myself or be held liable.

I am in no way liable for this job if it cracks, but would like to know your thoughts.

Cheers

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Whether you spec it or not if you do it and it is wrong as an expert knowingly carrying out the work incorrectly automatically makes you liable. If you did it in my house i would sue...

do it right or walk away....

C

Colour Republic

What are the doors made? and why can't they be cut down?

at 12mm that floor must be bouncing all over the place already, add UFH in the mix and you're asking for trouble IMO

F

Fraser

Hello Ajax, thanks for your reply. So you suggest to walk away? Surely a simple letter waiving responsibilty for defects due to movement would suffice in court?
Or do you believe you have a solution to the above problem?
"Do it right" isn't a solution.

F

Fraser

What are the doors made? and why can't they be cut down?

at 12mm that floor must be bouncing all over the place already, add UFH in the mix and you're asking for trouble IMO

the idea of tiling it just seems so wrong. The manufacturers insist it works, and as I said, the first one I did had no problem on a floating 6mm with Keraquick and latex.
I was amazed it stayed down. I told the customer it would definetly fail too!

B

Bubblecraft

Can the bi-fold doors be cut or swung into the adjacent room giving you plenty of height to work with?

I wouldn't go straight onto 12mm ply. As said above, it must be bouncing all over the place. I'd overlay with Hardibacker 500 or at least 10mm insulation boards such as Warmup or thermal Aquapanel with SPF & screwed then work from there. Don't try & compromise with what you've got. Do it right first time wither your liable for it or not. It's good practice. Explain to the customer what is required & why.

D

DHTiling

No waver will get you out if it, if the floors fails and you knew it would but still tiled it then you are in the wrong, no matter what piece of paper gets signed if you know what you are doing is not to spec then you are to blame. simples.. :)

12mm sub-floor... jeez what numpty put that idea to the customer..
reaction.gif

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hello Ajax, thanks for your reply. So you suggest to walk away? Surely a simple letter waiving responsibilty for defects due to movement would suffice in court?
Or do you believe you have a solution to the above problem?
"Do it right" isn't a solution.

Do it right, do it once.

C

Colour Republic

Are you seriously saying that you tiled a floor that had 6mm ply directly fitted to joists, then ufh, then 300x300 slate and it all stayed put??

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
imho if u fix limestone to that substrate within months it will end up looking like crazy paving cracks every were

i understand your dilemma , explain to the customer the pit falls of poor prep work or failure is a cert esp with lime stone

Reply to 825x550x20 limestone on underfloor heated suspended 12mm ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen