Search the forum,

Discuss 60cmx60cm Calibrated Slate Tiles on a Wall - will they stick? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Good Afternoon,

I'm looking at getting 60cmx60cm (or 24"x24" in old money) calibrated slate tiles from here ( Calibrated Brazilian Black Riven Slate 600x600x10 | Mrs Stone Store )

It says they're suitable for the wall in the blurb and they suggest using the following bonding agent and adhesives -

Gfix - Bonding Agent Acrylic
Gfix - Adhesive Fast Set

Will these adhere to the wall ok or would some support be needed until the adhesive sets?

Also, would it make sense to do them one row at a time leaving curing time between rows?

Thanks,

Rhian

I

Ian

Hello. What are your walls constructed from currently? Plasterboard/skimmed plasterboard/skimmed render/ply/cement board etc.

T

Time's Ran Out

Why do you think that 60x60cm calibrated slate is suitable for a DIY project. If they are calibrated at 20mm thick you are going to have some weight and so your substrate and fixing method will have to be correct.

U

Unregistered

I've done 30x30 non calibrated on a massive floor and managed to get them all perfectly even, some tiles were 3 times as thick as others so I have some experience - I just take my time, I'm quite a handy woman...I can plaster too :)

The walls are brick with a cement render and a plaster skim. The plaster is all sound. There is a silk emulsion on the walls at the moment that i was planning to use a steamer to remove so that its bare plaster.

Hope this info helps,

Thanks,

Rhian

U

Unregistered

you will need to remove the skim plaster aswell as the paint..

Thanks Andy, I guess that will save me messing with the removal of the emulsion...

Should i remove it with a bolster chisel or is there an easier way?

Cheers,

Rhi

Reply to 60cmx60cm Calibrated Slate Tiles on a Wall - will they stick? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen