Search the forum,

Discuss Work & Life in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Raja

wivers if it meant u and me rolling around in mud wud sell everything even my bike just for that privallige:grin:

D

DHTiling

chin up raja mate......you will get there.....why don,t you just go back into the security job on the week ends if its what you have set your heart on doing...That way you still tile and do the door work as well..........just a thought mate....

S

sWe

I have a suggestion or two. You might not like them, but here goes:

Read up on tanking by reading the installation manuals on the homepages of the manufacturers. There are different types of systems which work a bit differently, but the system specifics don't differ too much between manufacturers. Then adopt a single manufacturer as "yours", and learn their systems by heart. Takes an evening to get the theory straight. Then, take one job which involves tanking, and apply the theory. I remember the first time I tanked a bathroom. It was daunting as hell, and took me most of a day. After that, I learned little tricks, on how to do it better, and in less time. With the realization that I knew what I was doing, came confidence.

As to replacing substrates, plumbing, etc: If you don't want to do it, why don't you partner a carpenter or a plumber who can handle that kind of stuff? You go to him when you need something of the sort done, and he goes to you when his customers need tiling done. Mutually beneficial, and all you "risk" is having to fit schedules, and having more avenues of work, which means steadier income. Besides, where as you specialize in tiling, you can do a better job and faster than a jack-o-all, where as a plumber can surely do a better job at plumbing. It's a good sell point: "No, I don't do plumbing or furnishings, but I have partners who do. We do what we do best".

Survival is to adapt. You might not like having to learn and do new things, but you can learn to :)

Last edited by a moderator:
L

laurami tiling

i agree with sWe if a customer wants plumbing /plastering/joinery i say no but i know men who can and its always better to work with other tradesmen you know cause you get a better banter lol
its just a case of you scratch their back they scratch yours that way you can provide the full service (no i dont mean doing the mrs customer too)

keep at it mate , ive been p/time for a year done about 20 jobs last year but so far this year im very busy due to referals and repeat work and have never advertised yet (just waiting for the right redundo package from work lol)
if this keeps up i will have to go full time to get all the work done.

so stick to tiling in some form or other it will get better

tony

I

IvegotsTILE

Raja me old mucca don't worry about it,I'm exactly the same as you,don't touch sinks,baths etc. I'm a tiler not a plumber. I've just got in with a plumber from my last job and he's already got me a full bathroom and kitchen.I know if I need stuff moving I just have to give him a call and he'll do it,bit of work for him.
Haven't done many big jobs myself but if they came up I'd give them ago,you'll never be able to do them if you don't dive in.Whats the worst that can happen?

When you say security work is it true what Wivers says that your a doorman at nursery?:lol:
Keep your chin up mate and it'll work out.:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Raja me old mucca don't worry about it,I'm exactly the same as you,don't touch sinks,baths etc. I'm a tiler not a plumber. I've just got in with a plumber from my last job and he's already got me a full bathroom and kitchen.I know if I need stuff moving I just have to give him a call and he'll do it,bit of work for him.
Haven't done many big jobs myself but if they came up I'd give them ago,you'll never be able to do them if you don't dive in.Whats the worst that can happen?

When you say security work is it true what Wivers says that your a doorman at nursery?:lol:

And some of those kids are taller than him as well...........:lol:

F

fr0gman4

same as sWe and Laurami mate get onto a couple of plasterers and plumbers local to you and go and have a chat about teaming up to get jobs off each other.

"Can I pass any plumbing/plastering jobs onto you and if you get any customers who ask you for tiling pass on my card." kinda chat

not trying to tell you how to suck eggs mate as I have only been at the game two minutes myself but think it would be a shame for you to pack it in pal.

best of luck whichever way you go

T

tileform

I'm getting into tiling because my garage doors are quiet

Never hurts to have another string to your bow :thumbsup:

R

Raja

thank you mate for your words of encouragement yes used to work as a bouncer at mothercare lol

Reply to Work & Life in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen