Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss what fixings for shower screen in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all this is probably been asked so many times.Have to install a glass shower screen to a tiled on plasterboard substrate.There i beleive is no studs near or noggins as the screen needs to align with the fitted bath edge.please could you advise me what to use and how to install.This will also apply to shower rail as well.Seen the thread where you drill hole for fixings then make tile hoile slightly bigger to allow plug to pass through into substrate.this is a larger item and really have nothing but plasterboard and no studs to work with here.Many thx Lee:mad2:

OP
W

White Room

Personally don,t like the toggle one,s, Just a little thing is if you ever dry line the wall ask where heavy fixtures are going radiators, toilet cistern and the like and add extra dabs of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ for more support

OP
D

Deleted member 1779

Sweaty Sock makes a valid point. The 16mm drill is part of the all-in-one solution and can cut "plugs" out of a tile to allow access to the material behind.

If (and this is a general statement) you DONT want to use the tile as part of the solution for screws you can cut a plug out of a tile.

But as SS warns be sure the width at 16mm can be covered by your fitting. The 16mm size is included in the kit along with a 30mm and 40mm because these are the most common sizes for service pipes.

Even those self-drive anchors mentioned earlier (the ones I dont recomend..!) will fit inside the plug with room to spare. See:

service_pipe1.jpg

In the above picture we have cut out a 16mm plug to fit a service pipe but this self drive anchor (below) is in shot

p43408_l.jpg

It will drop neatly into the socket and screw into the plasterboard behind.

service_pipe2.jpg

The main call we get for this type of work is really for very heavy industrial applications like for example when screwing down free standing pay counters into airport terminal floors.

Usually the guys want to fix a steel bar into concrete with chemical anchors and like to cut a neat plug out of the tile without any risk of cracking it insitu.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

pjtiler

thank you all so much indeed for your proffessoinal knowledge on this matter,once again you are all stars to the forum.like the m4 wall anchors as i have used before on holding shelves up in my bedroom etc.if i make the hole big enough in the tile to accept the anchor flange and then drill out the plasterboard smaller diameter to accept the shank and wind the screw to open up the wings then take out the screw and place screen in place i think this should work fine.i own a 365 drill set and marcrist p180 kit.
Also if i am putting up small fittings ie toilet holder etc would you guys use the fittings supplied,rawl plugs and screws and use same method so screw and rawl plug is sittng below tile to avoid cracking

cheers Lee
thats a wrap then
sorted:thumbsup:

Reply to what fixings for shower screen in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock