Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss what fixings for shower screen in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all this is probably been asked so many times.Have to install a glass shower screen to a tiled on plasterboard substrate.There i beleive is no studs near or noggins as the screen needs to align with the fitted bath edge.please could you advise me what to use and how to install.This will also apply to shower rail as well.Seen the thread where you drill hole for fixings then make tile hoile slightly bigger to allow plug to pass through into substrate.this is a larger item and really have nothing but plasterboard and no studs to work with here.Many thx Lee:mad2:

OP
P

pjtiler

Hi all this is probably been asked so many times.Have to install a glass shower screen to a tiled on plasterboard substrate.There i beleive is no studs near or noggins as the screen needs to align with the fitted bath edge.please could you advise me what to use and how to install.This will also apply to shower rail as well.Seen the thread where you drill hole for fixings then make tile hoile slightly bigger to allow plug to pass through into substrate.this is a larger item and really have nothing but plasterboard and no studs to work with here.Many thx Lee:mad2:
Mungo Easi-Driver Metal 32mm Pack of 100 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys
i would put a couple of lines of silicone on each post too

NickH

TF
Reaction score
Drill through the tiles with a 7mm tile drill, then carefully drill through the plasterboard with a 6.5mm wood HSS drill so that you dont tear the plasterboard to shreds with the drill. Then tap in a brown plug so that its slightly below the surface of the tile, then you can screw into it with a 4mm x 35mm screw, dont use a bigger diameter screw or you may crack the tile and use silicon behind the profile. Just nip the screws up and once the silicon has set it will be solid.

OP
D

Deleted member 1779

Obviously we supply the tile drills that will put a hole into a tile assuming you will be using standard rawl plugs. Hence this product:

kit6mm3.jpg

Which is used for this type of hole

9a.jpg

BUT

If you are going to use plasterboard wall anchors beware that you will be limited to the width / size of the hole that you can poke through.

If you tried to use any type of self drive anchor when the tiles are fitted with our 8mm kit then they will get it stuck. IE this is a self drive anchor.

p43408_l.jpg

I would not recommend a self drive anchor (sorry to the post above) but he IS correct and on the right track in suggesting wall anchors as the solution. What I would suggest is a slightly different anchor.

Thats because the wall anchor that you use is going to need has to fit into through the hole in the tile and into the cavity to expand behind.

Assuming you are not confident the tile and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ could hold the weight of a standard rawl plug then you are going to need a wall anchor that expands after installation.

This is a bog standard rawl:
p4756569_l.jpg

Not man enough for the job? - Then you need a wall anchor

Can I suggest this one? 38777

p4075017_l.jpg

38777 is (M4) needs our 8mm drill kit to fit it. Once drilled you then slide the barrel of the above through the hole to the back of the tile / plasterboard sandwich.

I'm afraid my suggestion does require the additional purchase and use of tool 38788 to "open" the wings of the anchor for it to grip the back of the plasterboard and thus spread the load.

p4324210_l.jpg

The M4 size fitting if used in series of say three on a shower screen should have enough guts to hold up.

NickH

TF
Reaction score
But again, wont the flange on that fixing sit slightly proud of the tiles and thus hold the profile of off the wall ?

OP
D

Deleted member 1779

Its a fair point. Only a rawl plug can be set back on a tile.

Wall anchors will give the additional strength but they do stick out a bit and would be difficult to countersink.

What I did was to leave the trim bead proud on the tile and then to silicone over the joint to hide the gap.

shower_bracket.jpg

The silver plate above is also an additional extra to add rigidity to the glass wall.

Its probably true that a few rawl plugs used in the manor you describe would be able to hold the weight.

p4757033_l.jpg

Its just so difficult to tell with any degree of certainty. I used 9mm thick glass doors so the weight load was incredible. And considering it was a glass door so open and shut every day put quite a strain on the fittings.

OP
L

lendini

thank you all so much indeed for your proffessoinal knowledge on this matter,once again you are all stars to the forum.like the m4 wall anchors as i have used before on holding shelves up in my bedroom etc.if i make the hole big enough in the tile to accept the anchor flange and then drill out the plasterboard smaller diameter to accept the shank and wind the screw to open up the wings then take out the screw and place screen in place i think this should work fine.i own a 365 drill set and marcrist p180 kit.
Also if i am putting up small fittings ie toilet holder etc would you guys use the fittings supplied,rawl plugs and screws and use same method so screw and rawl plug is sittng below tile to avoid cracking

cheers Lee

OP
S

sweaty sock

the wall anchors 38777 above are the strongest and need to be fitted after using a 15mm 365 drill bit as it needs to grip the plasterboard below to stop it rotating as u fit it - the screw provided will open out and set the legs in the wall tighten to set ,remove screw and then refasten to fixing -the only draw back is the 15mm hole so you need to see if the fixing to the wall will cover the hole -remember to silicone behind to seal hole :8: toefee

OP
D

Deleted member 1779

Whenever I've fitted non load bearing items to any tile I've never gone beyond rawl plugs.

loo_roll.jpg

Even on the double loo roll holder above... (yes double we eat a lot of curry at our house) and in soft tiles.

Dsc07748.jpg

Dsc07750.jpg

Dsc07755.jpg

Reply to what fixings for shower screen in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock