Discuss Wet Room Question time in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good evening to all.

I’m here this evening looking for some advice if you would be so kind.

I’m currently taking on my latest project, that being my new ensuite.

The wife and I have found it difficult to decide between a traditional shower tray and screen or a more modern wet room. We are leaning towards a wet room which brings me here with questions.

I have narrowed things down to what I believe, after hours of research, to be the best option - an Impey Aqua Dec for tiles and the Impey tanking kit.

Question time.
1) Am i on the right track with the above items? Shower tray will be 850mm x 1100mm so i can get the 1200 x 900 dec and trip it down
2) We are wanting underfloor heating, i see the membrane is rated to 150W which is fine, that’s what is as going for anyway, but what brand and fixed or loose wire system?
3) I don’t believe i need a de-coupling mat with the Impey tanking so I’m leaning towards the mat type.
4) subfloor is timber floorboard, i am not there there are any boards under the current bath, if there are no floorboards, do i rip it all up and put a new floor down? I see a lot say to shy away from chipboard flooring BUT with a membrane tanking and tiles is it such a big deal?
5) How should i make up the floor layers? Timber flooring -> 6MM Ply??? -> Tile Backer/Insulation board??? -> UFH Element -> Self leveller????? -> Tanking -> Tiles. I’m not sure i need levelling or not but presume i do to provide a flat surface for the membrane to adhere too.
6) Should i tank the full bathroom? Or just the wet area + 600mm as per spec, the room is prettt small, I’ll attach a piccy
7) On my last bathroom project i used Mapie adhesive, grout and sealent - should i be aiming for the same here? My last was a bathroom with no UFH. I guess i need flexible adhesive and grout here?
8) I am looking at Grohe concealed showers with rainfall showerhead, not on a surface mounted pipe but coming from the wall with a handheld head too. Can anyone recommend other quality units?
9) Beading/Edging - I have always thought tile edges should be finished with a form of beading/edging, i am currently at a hotel where tiles are just finished on their edge with no aforementioned products, is this a case of preference or what?
10) forgot this one, UFH under tiles in the former?

Room is 1810w x 2140d x 2480h - approx 3.9Mt2

I Could spend all night writing down questions but i wont bore you all just now.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated too.

My name is Martin, I’m an ex chippy now IT Consultant but DIY lover.

Cheers
[automerge]1571092323[/automerge]
565A13BA-E2BC-4B40-8D97-31C9FE783CD4.png

Oh...

D

Dumbo

1 ask impey
2 any leading manufacturer , loose wire is easier to go around obstacles
3 impey mat works as a decoupled also
4 put chipboard down is ok but cover it with a tile backer like 10mm jackoboard before fitting membrane .
5 because of 10
Flooring ,10mm ins board, tanking . Ufh
Levelling ,tile .
6 entire floor, .walls only in wet area
7yes
8. Pretty much best you can get
9 use edging or( mitre corners , not really cut)
10 as 5 but allow 150 frame drain so it doesn't heat drain and dry out .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Winner. ^^^^ (we're missing the winner emoji on this forum!)

We have a forum sponsor here: Wetroom Trays, Waterproofing and Accessories | The Wetroom Store - https://www.thewetroomstore.co.uk/
Their main actual business is underfloor heating though. www.uheat.co.uk

Those guys keep us free to use and do discounts and deals for forum members. Let them know your username.

That said, by all means of course, shop around. Just being open here. :)

That looks like it'll be a really nice job once done, so don't forget to post us some pictures. :)

p.s. - Feel free to use one of our tilers off the forum, you can post the job here and get a few tilers to quote for it, don't just go for the cheapest because it's the cheapest, listen to what products they suggest and perhaps check in with us. We see jobs going wrong all the time, the latest one is HERE. They're going to have to pull all the tiles off, and get a real tiler in to do the job properly. That wont be easy or cheap to fix.

Link to post job to forum: https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tiling-jobs/post-thread

Reply to Wet Room Question time in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks