Search the forum,

Discuss Washboy. . . worth getting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SteveyJ

Hi there all. First post on here!!
Thinking of getting a washboy as heard some good things about them and getting fed up of cleaning down tiles with a sponge, over and over again, then polishing.

All previous people I have worked with have never used them and so have never seen one in use. Do you apply the grout as normal then use the washboy to wipe off or what, and do you have to go over a few times then polish? Guess what I'm trying to work out is will it save me time and give a good finish?

I don't do huge floors normally upto about 14sqm of floor and about 25 sqm of walls in bathrooms, any advice and recomendations would be good.

Cheers

D

DHTiling

hi steve mate welcome to the forums.....

Here is an article from the the tiling news.... Broken Link Removed

This should explain the benefits of the washboy...

How do I use a washboy?

A washboy is a very effective tool that is very simple to use.
1. Apply the grout as usual.
2. Fill washboy with water to 20-30mm above the separation / decantation grid and dunk the sponge in the water
3. Push the sponge horizontally across the rollers to remove excess water.
4. Even up the grouted joints with the sponge using a circular motion.
5. Rub the sponge along the separation / decantation grid in order to remove excess grout and the grout will fall and settle at the bottom below the separation / decantation grid. This will leave clean water above the grid to clean your sponge in.
6. Clean your sponge and repeat step three.
7. Pull the sponge across the tiles and then clean the sponge and repeat from step three until the surface is clean.
Which one to buy?

There are many washboys on the market; a great place to start is with the Rubi washboy.
The Rubi tilers washboy features a light and highly resistant plastic tray with 2 colander rollers and a separation-decantation system for waste water. It incorporates wheels and a handle for ease of transportation. The kit includes a plastic float with a sponge and a thermoplex rubber trowel. Dimensions: 58 x 27 x 35cm.

I used to be one of those fixers who said washboys are a gimmick.. until i tried one , then it is my most valuable piece of my tool kit now....

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ETS

The Rubi washboy is the one I used on my training course. It made a big difference and I didn't hesitate to buy one. :thumbsup:

D

DevonChris

A washboy is ESSENTIAL!
It saves literally hours on bigger jobs and leaves a better finish.
Chris

W

woodie

i totally recommend having a washboy i've had a raimondi skipper for about six years and i couldn't live without it :yes: Mike...

B

brian c

welcome to the forums steve,washboys are excellent for big floor jobs but the only down side is having to change the water all the time as it gets very dirty after about 5 or 6 runs.Great piece of kit though,you can pick them up for about 40quid or so.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I agree with all the above. It seems weird that such a 'bucket' can save sooooo much time and effort on the big jobs and even just smallish floors.

Reply to Washboy. . . worth getting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen