Search the forum,

Discuss Wall Trowels in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

Good question, I await answers from the "old Timers" with interest as I am new to this too. Also, would 6mm be the norm for 100mm square tiles? I did a job with this size tile and felt that 6mm was a bit messy would 4mm have been a better tool to use?

G

GazTech

There are many nothched floats available,these are what you refer to as a trowels,trowels are usually small for pointing,flat edge or gauging for flat buckets or for making margins in concrete.A notched float type which we apply tile adhesive,should be no deeper a notch than the tile you are fixing,and the smaller the tile the closer together the teeth,hence the mosaic float is like an afro comb.It matters not the type of notch,round or square,but traditionally the notches were rounded don't know why,I always prefered round notch and had one for walls and floors that lasted for 7 years it finished up nearly triangular lol....here endeth the lesson from this 'OLD TIMER':wink_smile: you cheeky young pups

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Thanks Gaz, Old Timers was meant to refer to time in the trade not advancing years, I'm 49 ffs!!!

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
It matters not the type of notch,round or square,but traditionally the notches were rounded don't know why,I always prefered round notch and had one for walls and floors that lasted for 7 years it finished up nearly triangular lol....here endeth the lesson from this 'OLD TIMER':wink_smile: you cheeky young pups

Again, so many questions form me, sorry to hi-jack the thrread, I thought the shape of the notch was to do with coverage ? I.E. a 6mm square notch would give you 50% adhesive on the wall and 50% taken off with each trowel / float sweep, a 6mm V notch would give you 75% coverage etc etc.

Have I got this wrong ? Thanks in advance.

G

GazTech

Again, so many questions form me, sorry to hi-jack the thrread, I thought the shape of the notch was to do with coverage ? I.E. a 6mm square notch would give you 50% adhesive on the wall and 50% taken off with each trowel / float sweep, a 6mm V notch would give you 75% coverage etc etc.

Have I got this wrong ? Thanks in advance.
Sorry Al,I'm a tiler not a 'kin scientist or mathematician,tiling is not as complicated as that for me,if it sticks it will do,float on,pull tile off and look at the back,if there is more white than red clay then that will be the right trowel to use,if not try another:wink_smile:

D

DHTiling

6mm Wall trowels
square, round, u shape whats the difference?
whats the best?

hello mate.. square notch trowels are most commonly used in dry area's of tiling as these give less bed coverage on walls ( 50% in this case).

u/v shaped notch trowels are designed like a peak effect so when tiles are pressed into place they achieve a more solid like bed, sometimes with the aid of back buttering tiles... which is required in areas likely to be subjected to wetting etc.... dave...

G

grumpygrouter

I can see this being an interesting thread! If you have a 6mm square notch, it does initially give a 50% coverage, when you apply the tile and put pressure on it it squashes down to cover much more than 50% with perhaps a 3mm thickness. During my training, we used 6mm rubi trowels and were encouraged all the time to remove tiles and check the coverage, most of the time we were acheiving at least 85% and aiming for 90%- as Gaz put it virtually all white, very little red.

Grumpy

D

DHTiling

I can see this being an interesting thread! If you have a 6mm square notch, it does initially give a 50% coverage, when you apply the tile and put pressure on it it squashes down to cover much more than 50% with perhaps a 3mm thickness. During my training, we used 6mm rubi trowels and were encouraged all the time to remove tiles and check the coverage, most of the time we were acheiving at least 85% and aiming for 90%- as Gaz put it virtually all white, very little red.

Grumpy

sqaure notch will give between 50% and 75% yes depending on wot walls are like.
but solid bed trowels , expecially large notch are better for un-even walls..

Y

Yorkie

6ml Thin bed solid bed will give 100% coverage essential for wet areas (tapered v notch) the distance between the end of the tooth to the neighbouring tooth is half the distance of the depth ie: 6ml depth and distance to neighbour being 3ml ,when pressure is applied adhesive beds out forming a continious solid bed.
6ml square notch is different as the distance between the neighbouring tooth is the same as the depth ie: 6ml, when pressure is aplied it doesn't form a continious bed and gives a covering between 50-75% as mentioned.
Hope that makes sense.

Reply to Wall Trowels in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen