Discuss Wall tiles on or behind skirting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

LennyW

Evening all!
I'm tiling my bathroom. Should the wall tiles should go down to the floor with the skirting then put on over them, or should they sit on top of the (in place) skirting? It's triggered off a lively debate here, I can tell you. Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers,
LennyW

T

T & P

Ive just done my bathroom out skirting board on top of tiles it looks much neater.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

:):):)

C

Concept PHT

Hi there...

It depends on whether you are going to tile your floor too. If so, then tile to the floor and grout/silicone the wall/floor joint. No need for skirting boards then, and looks very sharp and modern. If you are not tiling your floor, then go for the tiles on top of your skirting.

Measure your tiles to the wall and try and get the fullest cut (if not full tile) from the skirting board upwards.

All the best :)

T

T & P

APM's right about tiling down to the floor but if you want to keep the skirting board then putting the skirting board on top of the tiles means that you keep the full profile of the skirting which looks much better. Having said that if I was doing a tiling job for someone else then I would leave the skirting board on easier and quicker to finish the job. But my house? Well I don't go for the quickest & easy option I go for what looks best.

C

Concept PHT

The problem you will have then is when you want to replace the tiles in the future, you have to take the skirting board off with it too. Plus you are going to have a 6-10mm protrusion of your skirting board from the wall (because of the tile behind it), which means when it is butted up to the door frame, the skirting will stick out.

Keep it simple. :)

L

L & R CERAMICS

hello admin jujust like to say this site is full of chatter, has admin still got a job

L

LennyW

Thanks for the advice everyone. In the end, I tiled down to the floor - which wasn't tiled - and put the skirting over it. It looks good, particularly (as Cooperman pointed out) this way, you retain the full profile of the skirting, the top of which was half way up the the bottom tile - pure luck. I would imagine if you got a horizontal grout line near to the the top of the skirting it wouldn't look so good.
I overcame the butting up to the door frame problem by making sure the architrave was of sufficient thickness.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well done Lenny.

Just to point out. If you horizontal grout line had have fallen near the top of the skirting you would have had to move the whole set out up or down to ensure your cuts are always of a decent size. You should never need to leave small cuts in place in most set outs unless the tile is small.

U

Unsuretiler

Thanks for the advice everyone. In the end, I tiled down to the floor - which wasn't tiled - and put the skirting over it. It looks good, particularly (as Cooperman pointed out) this way, you retain the full profile of the skirting, the top of which was half way up the the bottom tile - pure luck. I would imagine if you got a horizontal grout line near to the the top of the skirting it wouldn't look so good.
I overcame the butting up to the door frame problem by making sure the architrave was of sufficient thickness.

Have you any photographs??

Reply to Wall tiles on or behind skirting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks