Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Underfloor heating under Amtico? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

hander

This is what I know so far:

1) It's possible.
2) It requires an insulating board to prevent the Amtico from getting too hot.
3) Amtico recommend Speedheat for the job.

This is what I'm confused about:
1) I've heard of an insulating board going under the heating to prevent the loss of heat but are we talking about one to insulate the Amtico tiles here? In addition or instead of (or is that my choice)? The subfloor is joists and floorboards (which will need ply on)
2) Other underfloor heating systems such as Warmup make reference to Amtico but it's all a bit worryingly vague (as Warmup were when I called them about it).
3) Am I looking exclusively at a matt system here?

If anyone has any experience of this - or just happens to know - I'd be grateful of any help. I'm not installing the Amtico myself, btw. Nor the cable heating (though I'd like that to be done by the plumbers/bathroom fitters as it's part of their quote).

Thanks everyone. You've all been most helpful with my recent questions on here.

T

tfs

Hi mate,

I have previous floor laying experience.

Im not 100% on this one but, I think the insulation for this is installed via a screeding system that incorporates an insulation compound. This will either be in form of a sheet like material/ mat which would then be screeded over or possibly a chemical added to a screeding compound.

I know that after ensuring that the electric underfloor heating is working you should leave off for 48hrs after insulation (also 48hrs prior to installation if the ufh has previously been used), you would ofcourse also use a ht adhesive. It is recommended that all amtico flooring should be left in the room to acclimatise for 24hrs prior to installation.

Please keep us updated if you get any confirmation on this.

Have you contacted amtico?

H

hander

Thanks. Gonna try Amtico tomorrow - they were annoyingly vague on the first round.

I'm starting to think it's not worth it with Amtico, though - given that it's not really a cold surface anyway and that there will be a rad in the room.

Will keep you updated though.

T

tfs

I currently have a similar product installed throughout the entire ground floor of my home and to be honest they are not too bad even in the winter. If you have the heating on they tend come up to room temp.

If your property has decent insulation in the floors etc it realy shouldn't be that bad.

Be sure to use a reputable floor layer as there are many carpet fitters out there who dont have a great deal of experience in luxury vinyl tiles and Amtico is harder to work with than Karndean and polyflor etc.

Reply to Underfloor heating under Amtico? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks