Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss TTA and British Standards. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

T

Tile Shop

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I emailed the TTA regarding a tile supplied by a TTA registered retailer, although this "issue" is common for many tiles and relates to nominal sizing.

The nominal size is only a guideline. Size "in name only" for identification purposes. The size a tile is advertised as, but due to calibres can vary.

So the tile in question, nominal size of 600x600. Actual size 592x592 (rectified). According to BSEN14411 the actual working size can vary by +/- 5mm. So i take that to mean it can be 605x605 down to 595x595.

The tiles are CE Marked as conforming to 14411, but can't see how as its out of tolerance by 3mm.

Ok so its not out by much, but its something for the engineers of the world to jump on.

I have asked for clarification from the TTA as they contribute to writing the standards and have so far failed to answer. Maybe because the retailer is TTA Approved (sorry, i mean subscribed) and we've caught them out on a technicality and the tile is advertised incorrectly, or the answer is there and they've just mis-placed it so no-one can find it.

Anyone come across this this or have an answer before the TTA respond?

OP
W

WetSaw

As long as they are all the same size I don't really care what size they put on the box. The engineers who have printed you out a plan to follow might be upset though! Maybe the manufacturer allowed for the grout gap so the finished area is 600×600.... Problems start when you have 605×605 and 595×595 in the same box/batch!

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Life's too short - I'd just walk.
Had it many years ago with an engineer who bought Norwegian slate ( one of the best products I've ever fixed) he wanted next to no joint on a heated screed (used 2mm) then when I opened them up slightly to keep the line he suggested I measure all 80 sq meters and use the same size tiles to keep the line. Job went downhill from then - another one I upset!

Glynn

TF
Reaction score
As long as they are all the same size I don't really care what size they put on the box. The engineers who have printed you out a plan to follow might be upset though! Maybe the manufacturer allowed for the grout gap so the finished area is 600×600.... Problems start when you have 605×605 and 595×595 in the same box/batch!

I agree with PDC. I will bet somewhere on the box there will be a comment " it is the users resposibility to check the tiles before use". Their get out of jail free card.

OP
T

Tile Shop

Not walking, I want them to answer. I'm behind a desk, I can badger them all day long :)

Actually, I should point out..... I got an update..... saying sorry for the delay, we're still looking into this.

One of the examples they use shows a discrepancy of 10mm between the working and nominal sizes. Might screenshot that and send it to them.

My god, I have now become the picky nightmare engineer!.......... and its so much fun :) But it does question whether current standards in conformity and fixing are fit for purpose seeing as the people who wrote them can't even clarify them.

OP
W

WetSaw

Life's too short - I'd just walk.
Had it many years ago with an engineer who bought Norwegian slate ( one of the best products I've ever fixed) he wanted next to no joint on a heated screed (used 2mm) then when I opened them up slightly to keep the line he suggested I measure all 80 sq meters and use the same size tiles to keep the line. Job went downhill from then - another one I upset!

I'd have suggested that he's probably a lot more accurate at measuring than I am so I'll come back when he's measured and graded them all.

OP
I

Italy

you are right.
the question you should turn to the manufacturer?
if they were writing that the nominal size was 595x595
everything was ok.

Screenshot (3).png

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Market now a days is flooded with cheap crap, personally I take no responsibility for any tiles supplied by a customer, so they could be any size for all I care, as long as there all the same batch/caliber.

Reply to TTA and British Standards. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock