Discuss Poor sized/shaped tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Anthony

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all
Just wondered what the standards are for tiles regarding size/shape
Currently in a 3 way dispute
Started tiling with a 600x300 and stopped after fixing 2 full tiles and 2 cuts. The tiles are made in India (says it all) when I put tiles together standing vertically on the 300 side they actually ran out 9mm over the length indicating that they’re out of square by 4.5mm and warpage runs out to 3mm from centre. So under British standards can they get away with even selling this crap.
These are porcelain. Been in this game 27yrs
Never seen anything like it
Look forward to your thoughts
Thanks all

J

J Sid

@Paul C. will be able to give you the info you need i expect but I'd say no
are they the same batch....just because there in the same box doesn't mean they are

D

Dumbo

Don't paint Indians with the same brush. I've fitted some good Indian tiles and be happy to fit some more

T

Tile Shop

Agree. Alot of the Indian factories are very good quality, but 9mm difference is well out of tolerance. The allowance for a 600mm tile is +/-2mm from the average size of all the tiles together, meaning the maximum allowed difference between the extremes smallest and largest should be no more than 4mm. Only time this wouldn't apply is for tiles with wavey edges that are deliberately made to a variation for a rustic look.

4mm sounds alot.... and it is (needs reducing in my opinion), but most factories sort their finished tiles into calibres to ensure they are with no more than 1-2mm total difference in a single batch. Guess this factory don't have that sorting process in place.

Anthony

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
upload_2019-1-3_15-41-9.jpeg
Also for the "squareness", tolerance for that is also 2mm. So one side 600, the other 598, technically acceptable (as per BSEN14411). 600 to 597 is not.
Run your eye up the tile. Cheers

B

Bill

That is bad........ are they made in India under licence from a certain British firm???

I

Italy

ot,
omitting the price, MIRAGE ceramics
always sells monocaliber tiles.
after months or years, even other colors
change the tonality but not the measure.
I think it's the only brand in Italy to do this.
naturally on rectified tiles

Reply to Poor sized/shaped tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks