Discuss Bodgers,Chancers and Diyers in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Are they good for the tiling industry ???

In general they make a positive impact to the tiling economy but a negative and financial impact to the end user

A bad job usually results with the customer either ripping it all out and starting again or employing a tiler to try fix the problems or just living with the job

If the customer decides to rip it out and start again which results in more tile sales for the tile shop more work for the reputables tilers because they get a job that if done properly in the first place that job would not exist

Trying to fix the problems of a bad job results in more work for the good tradesperson and in reality “ you can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear”

So in general bad jobs generate more tile sales and more tiling jobs

So what are the reasons why jobs go bad

Money

I think a lot of people underestimate the actual cost of tiling jobs with the tiles a lot of the times being the cheapest per m2 as the preparing of the walls and floors of the walls and floors can exceed the actual cost of the tiles and the laying of the tiles can exceed the cost of the tiles so if the customer tries to save money on Step 1 the preparing or Step 3 the laying can result in a substandard job

Internet

Diyers trying to do the job themselves by trying to teach themselves via you tube videos

Looks at tiling video “ That looks easy i think i give it go rather pay the tile fixer”

Sourcing the cheapest materials for doing the job without really what they are buying

“Tile Adhesive must stick tiles right “ buys the 60cm x 60cm polished porcelain from a diy shed at £9.99m2 “ Screwfix selling bags of mapei at £10 per bag “ Wow a bargain lays the tiles and then wonder why the job as failed Rings Mapei technical helpline explains the situation and is told that adhesive only suitable for tiles upto 30cm x 30cm D'oh!

Word of Mouth

I think this can work both ways in getting a good job done and also a bad job as some people’s perception of a good job vary

“ I know this great tiler who tiled my bathroom” gives number to friend! Friend gets a substandard job complains to friend but in reality both jobs are substandard

Impatience

People not willing to wait for the tiler I would guess that most good tilers should be booked for at least a month

Example

A 90m2 floor of expensive porcelain tile to cover the all the floors of a flat all the floors prepared with ditra matting so a perfect preparation

Husband “ Tiler can’t start the job for 6 weeks “

Wife “ I can’t wait that long i’ll find somebody “

Wife finds somebody who can do job at short notice the job ends up a complete lash up with the grout cracking and tiles coming up and a pretty poor job “ Dot and dabbed the floor “

So they may have to have the whole floor replaced.

Original tiler still too busy so wife calls in another “so called tiler “ and he explains the reason you’re floor as failed because it’s laid on that orange mat

So if the wife had been patient and waited for the original tiler they would of got a perfect job instead of a potential bill of thousands to replace the floor [ True Story]

DIY Sheds

People buying tiles from these places

An extreme example but not out of the bounds of possibility

Person needs to tile floor of 20m2 goes to DIY shed picks tile thinks because tiles are heavy will only take 5 M2 at a time So over the course of a few days buys the 20m2

Could have

4 different tones and 4 different calibers

Even a magician would have a hard job to get a acceptable job done

On the caliber alone a nominal sized tile can vary up to 10mm in size and then the tones

Top Tip

If you have a large area to tile and have to order in your tiles always ask for the largest caliber you get more tile for the same price

D

Dumbo

Some diy sheds are very good at putting bar codes over batch numbers etc . I think this is a deliberate ploy by them so they don' get lady with small amounts of different batches.

Reply to Bodgers,Chancers and Diyers in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks