Discuss Travertine floor covered in cracks in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

alig9

TF
Reaction score
I posted previously about 18 months ago re the cracks in my Travertine floor. Since that date many of the tiles have additionally developed holes. I have attached pictures of the state of the floor and am looking for advice as to a remedy so that the floor doesn't look like such an eyesore(the holes make it look as if it is dirty). There is water generated under floor heating. Is it worth/possible to have the holes filled? I presume if the floor w
#IMG_20170714_105159.jpg
thumbnail2.jpg
as to be replaced it would be quite expensive to have these tiles removed and is it likely to damage the heating?

J

J Sid

Clean and dry floor with wet vac, use knife blade to clean out cracks and fill with
This will probably be an on going job as more appear.
Done well it will look good

T

Tile Shop

If you do replace them and if the pipes are in a screed, very unlikely you will damage any pipework. But if you go for travertine again, make sure you lay an anti-fracture membrane.

Julian's idea would be a good option to fix what cracks there are... providing the red stuff you have painted over to highlight the cracks can be removed and hasn't permanently stained/damaged the stone.

alig9

TF
Reaction score
Many thanks for all your advice. When investigating repair online it was suggested that the repairs would look bad as the gloss of the tile would be affected - any advice on this? I'm quite willing to have a go if it has any chance of improvement as I now have nothing to loose
PS I would never recommend/use Travertine again after my experience and reading up about it after my problems occurred.

J

J Sid

Done well even with a gloss finish trav tile it will look 100 times better. If your going to have a go yourself can you get a variable speed grinder? If so I'll give you a link to the polishing pads I use.
When pulling filler in holes and cracks clean excess of with a sharp Stanley blade and it should need much if any polishing.

alig9

TF
Reaction score
I did the red markings to get an assessment of the cause of the problem. it is kids water based paint and came off at the next wash. Anyone recommend a tiler who would be willing to do this repair in the Watford area?

alig9

TF
Reaction score
Done well even with a gloss finish trav tile it will look 100 times better. If your going to have a go yourself can you get a variable speed grinder? If so I'll give you a link to the polishing pads I use.
When pulling filler in holes and cracks clean excess of with a sharp Stanley blade and it should need much if any polishing.
Could you give me the link for the polishing pads please

alig9

TF
Reaction score
Apologies for being a pest, but any particular grade that you would recommend
Apologies for being a pest but is there a particular grit you would recommend:
#1=400
#2=800
#3=1500
#4=3000
#5=5000

Reply to Travertine floor covered in cracks in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks