Currently reading:
Trade Accounts for Wall and Floor Tilers

Search the forum,

Discuss Trade Accounts for Wall and Floor Tilers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Widerange Tiles , Wordsley.
Best by far in my area for the trade.
Biscem Adhesives mainly but they do a range inc Weber, Mapei, BAL and Ultra. Not all products though and its best to order in but they get what you want at decent prices.

If I have the chance of bulk orders or need internet sales the TileTown in Derby are number one. Lee is always willing to help and go the extra mile to keep the fixer happy...top man :thumbsup:

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

i keep no trade accounts at any materials suppliers .
1 i like the customer to contribute to the price of the job ,it shows commitment to its success from them.
2 It keeps me below the VAT threshold ,by not getting materials ,
3 I still specify what materials i want to use ,and have no worries if the job is going to need more of any materials , i just tell them to get more .

D

DTile

i keep no trade accounts at any materials suppliers .
1 i like the customer to contribute to the price of the job ,it shows commitment to its success from them.
2 It keeps me below the VAT threshold ,by not getting materials ,
3 I still specify what materials i want to use ,and have no worries if the job is going to need more of any materials , i just tell them to get more .

Very interesting points - that VAT one had never occurred to me before, but is pretty critical.
We supply listellos, decorated tiles, mosaics etc, mostly to distributors & retailers. In view of your comments, maybe we should offer a tile fixer referral account. You point your customer/client to us (online), we supply them direct then pay you a commission equivalent to a trade discount?

B

bugs183

77k thats gone up a bit. I don't want to be VAT registered, doesn't seem worth it unless you are a big firm.
I work out whether it's really worth me supplying, if not i point them to the distributor and they get my discount. I don't ask for any commission.
I use Craven Dunnill, Lilley Tile and Stone, and as much as i have moaned about their tiles i do use Tile Giant, i've found them very useful when i'm working away. I just do discount, no credit.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
It's worth being vat registered if all your clients are vat registered. And it's worth being vat registered during a businesses first couple of years of its about to purchase tools, stock, vehicles, etc - so a bigger business than perhaps you average tiler etc.

If you're a guy selling your time and skill, to homeowners who are never going to claim vat back, then its nearly always not worth it.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Very interesting points - that VAT one had never occurred to me before, but is pretty critical.
We supply listellos, decorated tiles, mosaics etc, mostly to distributors & retailers. In view of your comments, maybe we should offer a tile fixer referral account. You point your customer/client to us (online), we supply them direct then pay you a commission equivalent to a trade discount?

When I get towards my year end this is what a couple of suppliers do for me. Obviously they can't give me cash as a commission, so I ask the customer to buy the tiles minus a %age of my discount and the difference is then deducted from my next purchase. That way I'm not having potentially thousands of £s worth of tiles going through my accounts.

D

DTile

When I get towards my year end this is what a couple of suppliers do for me. Obviously they can't give me cash as a commission, so I ask the customer to buy the tiles minus a %age of my discount and the difference is then deducted from my next purchase. That way I'm not having potentially thousands of £s worth of tiles going through my accounts.
Why not?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds

If you go and buy a shirt and pay by card and take it back and ask for a refund, how do they pay you back, the same way that you paid, they will credit your card, not give you cash. Same principal for the supplier it is far easier for them to give a discount on any 'commission' you have by deducting it from a purchase.

If say for example I get 30% from my supplier. My customer goes to my supplier and buys £1000 worth of tiles, I would ask the supplier to deduct £150 off as my gift to the customer and the remaining £150 would go as a credit to my next purchase. The following week I go in and buy £200 worth of grout and adhesive, the supplier makes out the invoice for £200, minus my £150 credit and I pay the bill of £50.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
OK, John - I see what you mean. Where it suits you to get a credit is fine, but if you preferred to take your discount in cash, would it not be better?

Look at it this way - The supplier has to have £150 cash to give me, he will have had to receive cash to give it to me. If I am owed £150 in credit I buy £150 worth of adhesive, I pay nothing, but the supplier may have only paid, say £90 for the materials. In effect he is still making £60, so why would he want to give me £150 cash. He would have to make another £60 profit to pay me £150 cash.

M

Martino

What your thinking of doing I all ready do that with a small family run business called Annandale's in Hull..Make's more sense sending the customer to a reccmmended Seller. They make what they want and either give you jobs or free addy etc. :)

Reply to Trade Accounts for Wall and Floor Tilers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement