Search the forum,

Discuss to many light switches in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

georgetknight

quoted a job the other day diagonal set behind kitchen worktop and cooker hood , good size job 8m2 total and wait for it 7 switches on the walls all pretty close together. my thoughts were to just increase the length of the screws and tile behind the switch what size of screws do you think would be best length wise. and do you think this is a good idea.

cheers
geo

L

Leatherface

You should always tile behind switches if poss.
You best bet is going to an electrical wholesalers - you can get a bag of 100 - 50mm screws for about £8.00. This is far cheaper than B & Q. Also it is a good idea to have a bag in you tool box - far more professional to be able to replace screws & screw back to wall when you finish, rather than leaving it for the customer to sort out.

C

Concept PHT

Always try and tile behind the switches mate, much better finish and easier for your cuts :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
quoted a job the other day diagonal set behind kitchen worktop and cooker hood , good size job 8m2 total and wait for it 7 switches on the walls all pretty close together. my thoughts were to just increase the length of the screws and tile behind the switch what size of screws do you think would be best length wise. and do you think this is a good idea.

cheers
geo

I used to have the 50mm scres in and then snip the end off if they were too big still. I'd tile behind them though, looks mad when you tile around a socket, you sorty of frame it and it's messy with grout or silicone around it when it's sunk in the tile too.

T

tjsmiler

Buy a pair of 50mm screws and a set of wire strippers (about £2) crap ones do the job fine. then just snip the end off your screw accordingly.

Always tile behind socket, looks so much better and much faster too

G

georgetknight

thanks guys managedto get the screws for the job 25 screws for £3.50 from ross electrical supplies thanks again

geo

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Make sure you all switch off the sockets at the mains as the live wires can get trapped between the back of the box and the screw, can be a shocking experience, been there

Reply to to many light switches in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen