Search the forum,

Discuss time for a sabbatical? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

got asked today if I fancied going back plastering for a few months, tbh I don't relish going plastering, but it'd mean not having to hunt for tiling work in an ever decreasing work/profit area (at the moment). Got a couple of weeks to decide. Does anyone else have a "second trade" to fall back on and how far would you have to be pushed to fall back on it?

D

DHTiling

Joinery......or Doorman work......Too old in the tooth for doorwork anymore and no joinery work about either....:mad2:...

Will stick it out as i am......hopefully.....:lol:

C

cornish_crofter

Well, I do a bit from a lot of the trades, a bit of a cowboy really :lol:

I also have an honours degree and MSC in engineering/manufacturing related subjects, absolutely hated working in it though.

and I've got C&G 2381 and 2391 on the electrical side

...so no I'd be a bit stuck really :smilewinkgrin:

D

DHTiling

Doug mate.....if you need the work and its offered GO for it.....family to feed mate ..:thumbsup:

R

R Montgomery

Hopefully things will pick up Doug.As for a second trade for me it would be the same as the first.

D

doug boardley

still got about a month's work ahead of me, so I'll see if owt else comes in during next couple of weeks.It is the quietest my diary has ever been tho'!

W

White Room

I'm the same Doug but have a good few jobs with the tiling but if I did'nt I would be plastering full time just for the money and keep my eye out for the tiling. Maybe a chance of more contacts for the tiling.

F

faithhealer

still got about a month's work ahead of me, so I'll see if owt else comes in during next couple of weeks.It is the quietest my diary has ever been tho'!
Never had more than a months work in but it's picking up Doug. But works work, I do anything for money to feed the family.
Best of luck Doug

R

Rob Z

Hi Doug,

I know it doesn't do you any good, but if you can do old-school plastering you could make a lot of money here in the DC area. There are so many houses and buildings here that have plaster, and almost no tradesmen that know how to work with it. Almost always, plaster gets hacked and pieced by the drywall finishers, or it gets torn out completely and new work goes in with drywall.

I've heard in the NE US plaster is still quite common, but for the most part here it's drywall.

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Money is money Doug...I would do anything (except Wivers!) for £. Only got about 5 days work ahead of me...back to hitting the tile shops etc

W

wivers

Damn i had some great offers lined up for ya!! :)

I can always fall back on my midget pimping business.

Reply to time for a sabbatical? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen