Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling straight on timber or fix layer of ply? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jay

sounds like pure luck if they are still there check recent posts on pva i have seen jobs done with pva and would not recomend it :mad2:

Wylie

TF
Reaction score
This is it as you say,though seen loads of jobs done like that on ply and stirling board and pva was used on some of them that i know
Was on a job last week retiling a bathroom,a lad was removing the floor tiles from a chip board floor he had half the floor done they where well down,of course i had the floor replaced with 18mm ply

D

DHTiling

Just because pva and ply was used..this dose not say it is the correct prep/method...

And the old saying i have had no problems isn't to say nothing has gone wrong...it just means you have not been called back...:smilewinkgrin:...

PVA has no place within the tiling industry...:thumbsup:

Wylie

TF
Reaction score
Just because pva and ply was used..this dose not say it is the correct prep/method...

And the old saying i have had no problems isn't to say nothing has gone wrong...it just means you have not been called back...:smilewinkgrin:...

PVA has no place within the tiling industry...:thumbsup:

I totaly agree with you :thumbsup:the point i was making was on the seconded post the job was already done if you know what i mean :smilewinkgrin:

D

doug boardley

I liken it to drink driving, you might not crash, or get caught everytime, but one day.............:thumbsdown:

G

Grace'sDad

I liken it to drink driving, you might not crash, or get caught everytime, but one day.............:thumbsdown:

And... no offence intended to the PVA "crew", but if you do this, like a drink-driver you're a blinkin' wally who should know better! :oops:

honza1

TF
Reaction score
Well well

You say PVA has no place in tilling trade.

Why did I hear ever since that PVA should be used on walls and especialy ply when tilling?(to seal it)
When I was learning from old trades man he always said to seal walls or ply with PVA.
Even when I was working in refurbishment company.
Even friend tiler told me to use it.
And you hear it even in the shops often.

It seems to me that PVA nicely penetrates all dust on the surface of walls and make addhesive stick better rather than just tile staight on dusty wall.
I feel it is like plastering. Have you ever done plastering on dusty wall or existing old plaster without pva? It would just peal of (most likey).

And with ply I was told many times that it seals the top of the wood so it do not soak in water.

I was using PVA for years when in emploiment and never hear not to use it.
now selfemploied I do not know reason why I should not use it. Never heard about no problems with it.

PLEASE explain to me why is it so bad and what would you use?

I will be happy to learn som.. new

people just say I hope you did not use this and that but they never say why or what they would do. Dont make people ask just show what you got.

Last edited:
D

doug boardley

if I knew how to post the "pva vs primer" thread Honza I would, doubtless somebody will soon:thumbsup:

Reply to Tiling straight on timber or fix layer of ply? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen