Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling straight on timber or fix layer of ply? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

honza1

TF
Reaction score
I have outcove for shower but Screen is a bit less wide than the opening.
I need to fix timber (not sure of size yet) on one side to get required width.:mad2:
It will be all tiled but I am not sure if I can tile straigth on this timber after Good coat of PVA or if I should screw on it plywood first.
I have never directly tiled on timber so I am not sure if this would work.
I am afraid timber might start twisting and moving(but it will be firmly screwed to the wall) and tiles might start falling off.
Also I questione if normal timber would be ok or I should use treated timber as it is gonna be in shower.

Any body any advice? Please help.

I would use ply but I would like to know how would you deal with it in profesional long lasting matter?:thumbsup:

ThanX

PS ? Would you still use more layers of timber if this would needed to be around 20cm from wall?

Last edited:

honza1

TF
Reaction score
NO replys?

I have build whole wall out to get it to reguired size using ply.

And it is perfect as it should be.

Client originaly sugested just fit timber in at beggining of the tray so the screen door can be fitted and than horizontaly tile gap between tray and wall.

See pix

JOB DONE

Attachments

• Dsc00865a.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Dsc00864a.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 55
T

Time's Ran Out

Hello honza 1.

Sorry I missed your post but from your pictures it looks as if it turned out OK.
Well done :thumbsup:
John.

G

Gazebo

I missed your post also, did you tank the shower area if you used ply.? did you use powdered flexi adhesive.?

If you tiled straight onto the ply you may find that the dye bleeds into the grout or even worse that the ply expands and cracks the grout joints.

Hope it doesnt but just be aware this may happen.

Gary

honza1

TF
Reaction score
Ply only on one side (where you see the step on the wall)
many many screws and wall plugs - firm fix
enough PVA
flex addhesive obviously
gray grout
silicone

honza1

TF
Reaction score
I missed your post also, did you tank the shower area if you used ply.? did you use powdered flexi adhesive.?

If you tiled straight onto the ply you may find that the dye bleeds into the grout or even worse that the ply expands and cracks the grout joints.

Hope it doesnt but just be aware this may happen.

Gary
How would you tank the shower area? It was shower before I just build up one side using ply.

What would you use to build it up? I would like to learn something new.

Only thing is When I needed it nobody bothered.

Attachments

• Dsc00816a.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 35
J

jay

sounds like pure luck if they are still there check recent posts on pva i have seen jobs done with pva and would not recomend it :mad2:

Wylie

TF
Reaction score
This is it as you say,though seen loads of jobs done like that on ply and stirling board and pva was used on some of them that i know
Was on a job last week retiling a bathroom,a lad was removing the floor tiles from a chip board floor he had half the floor done they where well down,of course i had the floor replaced with 18mm ply

D

DHTiling

Just because pva and ply was used..this dose not say it is the correct prep/method...

And the old saying i have had no problems isn't to say nothing has gone wrong...it just means you have not been called back...:smilewinkgrin:...

PVA has no place within the tiling industry...:thumbsup:

Wylie

TF
Reaction score
Just because pva and ply was used..this dose not say it is the correct prep/method...

And the old saying i have had no problems isn't to say nothing has gone wrong...it just means you have not been called back...:smilewinkgrin:...

PVA has no place within the tiling industry...:thumbsup:

I totaly agree with you :thumbsup:the point i was making was on the seconded post the job was already done if you know what i mean :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to Tiling straight on timber or fix layer of ply? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen