Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

All true, but if standards are looking at expansion rates over a temperature range of zero degrees to
30 degrees C then is it possible they are justified in their findings?
(It’s late and have no intention of working the equation now)
The problem there is that it’s not a credible theory, typically materials that we install are already acclimatised, and if not, they should be, so if the residence is occupied, the tiles will not start at a temperature of zero degrees, they’ll probably already be 15 degrees and over.
This would be more in line with amounts of expansion mentioned above, and not from where standards may be taking their calculations from.
Just a thought.
It also happens to be the biggest and easiest get out clause in the trade.

T

Tile Shop

The above examples i used were starting at 20 and BS would probably account for extra tolerance to be safe. The expansion is based on the difference in temp only which is closer to reality rather a "but what if" extreme. So for julians instance of ufh, going to 34, means the figure is calculated on the 14 degrees difference. If it started at zero and went up to 34, the expansion would be far greater........... Will work that one out in the morning :) ...zzzZZZ

Soso

TF
Reaction score
Hello, we are currently in dispute with a builder over a poor bathroom installation which includes poor tiling and also poor fitting of goods.

The builder has all of a sudden asked that the British Institute of Kitchens Bedrooms and Bathrooms do an inspection. We were thinking the Tile association would be better but they cost a lot (750 plus VAT).

Does anyone have experience or dealings with BIKBBI and if so does anyone know if the standard of their inspections would conform to British standards and Tile association standards for tiling ?

Does anyone know anyone else or where else we could get an inspection done. The builder used dot and dab also but i understand that most inspections would not remove tiles off the walls ?

D

Dumbo

Why dont you contact both associations and ask them about their inspections and what they cover. If it wasn't in your builders terms I believe they can't insist who does the inspection. The tta probably won't cover the instalation of goods but to be honest the tiling is probably going to be the most expensive part to correct .

W

Waluigi

Just had a quick look and it looks like a genuine organisation. I also took a look at installers registered in my area and how to apply to become a member. An annual fee is required. If the company you have been dealing with is a member of BIKBBI (rolls off the tongue that acronym doesn’t it?! ;) ) then I’d be a little worried there is a conflict of interest there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soso

TF
Reaction score
Why dont you contact both associations and ask them about their inspections and what they cover. If it wasn't in your builders terms I believe they can't insist who does the inspection. The tta probably won't cover the instalation of goods but to be honest the tiling is probably going to be the most expensive part to correct .

Thanks jcrtiling. I agree the tiling will definitely be the most expensive as it will require removal and re-installation of goods as a consequence of needing to be re-tiled anyway. The trouble is that small claims court only covers up to £750 but the tile association with VAT included is £900 :(

The builder doesn't have anything in his terms so i think we would have to tell them which inspection we would agree to. I've just contacted the BIKBBI and they said they don't know if their inspectors use Tile association of BSI standards when doing their inspection. I asked about dot and dab and she hadn't even heard of it although i expect she is in admin rather than an inspector herself !

Just concerned their inspectors might think dot and dab is acceptable or wouldn't know the current industry standards

Soso

TF
Reaction score
Just had a quick look and it looks like a genuine organisation. I also took a look at installers registered in my area and how to apply to become a member. An annual fee is required. If the company you have been dealing with is a member of BIKBBI (rolls of the tongue that acronym doesn’t it?! ;) ) then I’d be a little worried there is a conflict of interest there.

Yes - agree. We are a little worried that maybe the builder knows someone there or knows the local inspector or something. This builder seems to be quite well known in the local area (not in a good way). Just also concerned that we want someone who can genuinely inspect tile issues thoroughly. I don't think the builder is a member but i do think maybe he has contacts either there or on the ground.

O

Old Mod

Found this quite interesting, so with some help from @Paul C. this is what is contained within British Standards.

BS5385 part 1

"7.1.2 Bedding Materials
........ blah blah blah
Tiles should not be fixed using the dot and dab technique"

"7.2.1.6 Tile Joints
........ blah blah blah
Tiles should not be fixed using the dot and dab technique"
(why they put it again under tile joint, I have no idea)

Other than that it only mentions the methods to achieve as full contact as possible. no specifics.

This should weight the argument on your side.

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen