Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling onto plaster. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi.

I hope its ok to ask a question on here. I am changing my shower surround. The tiles in my shower are tiled straight onto a wall (breeze block walls that have been palstered)

The old surround was only just small enough for the shower tray. So much so that the tiles for my shower are cut just before the tray end and the old shower surround was attached straight to the wall onto the plaster and it butted up against the side of the cut tiles. Its in a corner of my bathroom so the tiled area is on 2 walls.

My new surround is thinner so there is about a 2cm to an inch gap from where the tiles end to where the surround will be stood. I think i'm going to have to add another column of tiles to extend the tiled area up to or just past the end of the shower tray on each side. Then i can attach the surround onto of them. I'm wandering, do i need to prime the paster in any way first? or can i just put the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ onto the the plaster and stick the tiles on? I am the only person who uses the shower and i'm quite careful so its not like there is constant water flow over the tiles, however i'll do what steps are needed to help the waterproofing the plastered wall behind the tiles.

thanks for any advice

RobD.

OP
beginnerbob
Reaction score
Hi.

I hope its ok to ask a question on here. I am changing my shower surround. The tiles in my shower are tiled straight onto a wall (breeze block walls that have been palstered)

The old surround was only just small enough for the shower tray. So much so that the tiles for my shower are cut just before the tray end and the old shower surround was attached straight to the wall onto the plaster and it butted up against the side of the cut tiles. Its in a corner of my bathroom so the tiled area is on 2 walls.

My new surround is thinner so there is about a 2cm to an inch gap from where the tiles end to where the surround will be stood. I think i'm going to have to add another column of tiles to extend the tiled area up to or just past the end of the shower tray on each side. Then i can attach the surround onto of them. I'm wandering, do i need to prime the paster in any way first? or can i just put the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ onto the the plaster and stick the tiles on? I am the only person who uses the shower and i'm quite careful so its not like there is constant water flow over the tiles, however i'll do what steps are needed to help the waterproofing the plastered wall behind the tiles.

thanks for any advice

RobD.
I've added a picutre ofit. Annoyingly at the bottom where i needed to take a picture of i've missed. The exposed wall on each side of the tiles is in line with the end of the shower tray and thats the bit i need to tile over. Polyfilled in gaps on the right and tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on the left where i had to retile some that had come lose when i was taking the old shower surround down. I know it all needs to be redone as its old and inperfect but i don't have much money at the moment so would prefer to to do it myself and then in a years or 2 when i have money can get it done properly.

IMG_0403.JPG

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Hi.

thanks for any advice

RobD.
Why would you change those tiles ? They are legendary !! Seal walls !!

Reply to Tiling onto plaster. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock