Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling onto cement render in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

dickiem

Hi, newbie (DIYer) hoping for some help.

I'm tiling my bathroom onto new cement render, how long do I need to leave the render before putting the tiles on?

Thanks

W

White Room

Hi and welcome.....they do say 4 weeks, how long has it been since it was rendered.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

How thick is the render? rule of thumb same as screed 1mm per day.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sorry Mark posted at the same time, four weeks is what we used to work on.:thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Agreed four weeks.... Or 28 days. This is because all strength testing on cement based materials is based on 28day tests.

D

dickiem

Hi and welcome.....they do say 4 weeks, how long has it been since it was rendered.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

It will all be 'rendered' this week. It's not actually a full render, it's various thicknesses (up to probably 5mm max) in patches merely to flatten the blockwork and to give a level surface for tiling onto. I've used a 4 to 1 to 1, sand:cement:lime mix.

It'll be a bummer if I have to wait 4 weeks, the bathroom is a right mess as you'd expect:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
why not dot and dab some new board on to the wall , putting render on as thin as that imo , will not be sound enough
other,s may have a different view on it

D

dickiem

why not dot and dab some new board on to the wall

Hi,

My room is very narrow and I've had to go back to block to maximise the width I have in order to accommodate a vanity unit and the bath with a bit of clearance. With plaster or dot n dab I would end up with insufficient width to get everything in:-/

W

White Room

You should be putting 12mm render for one coat so it gives you a chance to flatten out, 5mm may lose some strength with that thickness and find difficult to level out.

D

dickiem

You should be putting 12mm render for one coat so it gives you a chance to flatten out, 5mm may lose some strength with that thickness and find difficult to level out.

I only have 'patches' where the aggregate block faces aren't flush but some are the size of a couple of blocks. 12mm reduction either side of the room would leave me insufficient overall width to fit the bath and vanity. Guess I'm stuck with what I've got so have to hope it's sound enough:-/ I wish I hadn't started now:-(

A

Aston

28 days drying time as the above have members have stated

and i am with whitebeam with a coat of around 11-12mm

Reply to Tiling onto cement render in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks