Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling on top of Tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Keith

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys. Just been to look at a floor tiling job. 31m2 Entrance hall through to the kitchen,diner and utility needs tiling. The floor is concrete. On that is 10mm plywood. On that are tiles. these have been down for a few years. What I am trying to understand is these tiles have various cracks in them, and I don't think these were made by dropping things. When I tap a mallet on them it does sound a bit hollow.I would have thought the substrate was pretty solid. Could it be the addy wasn't laid properly.
Any dips in the tiles I would SLC. Would it be safe to tile on top of these or would you lift all the tiles and have a look at the ply.

Keith

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Andy. I don't know because it was done previously. I have only just seen it this morning with a view to pricing.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Definitely wouldn't tile on top.

I would rip it all up including the ply, prep the concrete substrate and tile on that....

If the floor needs building up 10mm for some reason, I would stick down 10mm insulation boards and then tile...

Keith

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Andy. Have just been onto Bal Tech and they advised ripping it up. Also as you pointed out the 10mm can be substituted with insulation boards. That is deffo what I will price for.

C

Concrete guy

My best guess for the reason the ply is there (without visiting the place of course) is you might find it's part concrete screed part floorboards.

9mm or 12mm ply over the whole thing to level it all used to be par for the course two decades ago.

Reply to Tiling on top of Tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks