Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on top of Tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Keith

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys. Just been to look at a floor tiling job. 31m2 Entrance hall through to the kitchen,diner and utility needs tiling. The floor is concrete. On that is 10mm plywood. On that are tiles. these have been down for a few years. What I am trying to understand is these tiles have various cracks in them, and I don't think these were made by dropping things. When I tap a mallet on them it does sound a bit hollow.I would have thought the substrate was pretty solid. Could it be the addy wasn't laid properly.
Any dips in the tiles I would SLC. Would it be safe to tile on top of these or would you lift all the tiles and have a look at the ply.

Keith

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Andy. I don't know because it was done previously. I have only just seen it this morning with a view to pricing.

Keith

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Andy. Have just been onto Bal Tech and they advised ripping it up. Also as you pointed out the 10mm can be substituted with insulation boards. That is deffo what I will price for.

C

Concrete guy

My best guess for the reason the ply is there (without visiting the place of course) is you might find it's part concrete screed part floorboards.

9mm or 12mm ply over the whole thing to level it all used to be par for the course two decades ago.

Reply to Tiling on top of Tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen