Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on to damp skimmed plaster in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi,

We are getting a new bathroom installed and could do with some advice. The old tiles were removed and the walls have been skimmed with a thin layer of plaster as part will be painted. The plaster was only completed yesterday and today they are tiling the walls. Does this seem too soon? Although it had clearly started drying it was definitely not dry this morning. I raised my concerns but was told this is how its always done and is not an issue because it is so thin. Also, they said the walls would become damp with the tile adhesive anyway so is not a problem. Does this sound ok? We have asked for a written guarantee that if anything goes wrong due to this they will come back and replace. They had really good reviews so would not expect poor quality but i am a bit worried about this.

What are the likely problems with doing this?

Thanks for your help

T

Time's Ran Out

Likely problem is the tiles will fall off. All adhesive manufacturers state 3 weeks for new plaster and so you are right to be concerned . Make sure you get the guarantee!
Just out of interest what size tiles are being 'fixed' and what adhesive are they using.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Hi and welcome

Yes it is too soon to tile onto, rule of thumb is 1mm per day and then a day iirc, what size and type tiles are you having and what adhesive is being used ? Tubs or bags ?

Reaction score
Are the full walls plastered, or just the top half with a slight overlap where the top inch or so of tile will be?
Is it Social Refurbs??

The plaster will suck the moisture out of the adhesive

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've just done a half tiled bathroom.

My plasterer came in and re-boarded, once fixed I set out where the tiles were going to stop height wise, and gave him 10mm allowance below to feather into. That way I could start the tiling straightaway, and by the following day I could put the top row on.

M

masterofnone

A skimmed wall needs 3 days to dry before tiling. It should be light pink all over with no dark patches and I always prime new plaster before tiling.

Reply to Tiling on to damp skimmed plaster in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen