Currently reading:
Tiling on to damp skimmed plaster

Discuss Tiling on to damp skimmed plaster in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi,

We are getting a new bathroom installed and could do with some advice. The old tiles were removed and the walls have been skimmed with a thin layer of plaster as part will be painted. The plaster was only completed yesterday and today they are tiling the walls. Does this seem too soon? Although it had clearly started drying it was definitely not dry this morning. I raised my concerns but was told this is how its always done and is not an issue because it is so thin. Also, they said the walls would become damp with the tile adhesive anyway so is not a problem. Does this sound ok? We have asked for a written guarantee that if anything goes wrong due to this they will come back and replace. They had really good reviews so would not expect poor quality but i am a bit worried about this.

What are the likely problems with doing this?

Thanks for your help

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I've just done a half tiled bathroom.

My plasterer came in and re-boarded, once fixed I set out where the tiles were going to stop height wise, and gave him 10mm allowance below to feather into. That way I could start the tiling straightaway, and by the following day I could put the top row on.

Reply to Tiling on to damp skimmed plaster in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement