Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on Timber Floor 1st Level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pendleh

Hi there

I did a job recently where I plyed out with 12mm marine ply then tiled. Customer has had a second opinion from a firm which they suggest I should have installed ditra matting they reckon the floor will crack over time. Is this correct? Tiles are porcelain. Any advise appreciated.

Howard

F

faithhealer

If the floor was decent to start with and ply was screwed correctly and correct adhesive and grout were used I can't see a problem. Perhaps this other firm are just trying to rubbish you because they didn't get the job!

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Why'd the customer get a second opinion after the job was done!?! Just tell em you could have added the matting and the extra cost, but thought is was unnecessary.
I'm not sure what benefit the matting would give anyway!?! As i understand it (and i am very new to tiling, so take this with a pinch of salt) Ditra matting won't stop deflection, if there is any.

A

AllurePTS

Why'd the customer get a second opinion after the job was done!?! Just tell em you could have added the matting and the extra cost, but thought is was unnecessary.
I'm not sure what benefit the matting would give anyway!?! As i understand it (and i am very new to tiling, so take this with a pinch of salt) Ditra matting won't stop deflection, if there is any.

thats how I see it too ...no need for ditra matting on that - anybody else ?

D

DHTiling

Get them to explain how the ditra will stop them cracking if it is the deflection they are on about..because ditra does not compensate for deflection......:thumbsup:

P

pendleh

Hi Guys thanks for your input on this. Basically I messed up the job adhesive was flush with the tile. I work nights its not easy at the mo. Tried taking the adhesive out with a fein and chipped two tiles.

Customer complained about every aspect of my work. She even asked me to cut tiles I had laid because the tiles were too big and more but I wont go into it. So I walked and thought let her get on with it. Know she has had a firm come in and suggest ditra quoting her £520 for 4M2. I may need some help in court if it goes to court. Shes claiming expenses and basically wants me to pay for the job to be redone. Basically tiling is all I want to do now but this customer has put me off coupled with the expense of going self employed. Could really do with working with an experienced tiler. If it wasnt for this community and this site I dont know what Id do. :hurray:

P

pendleh

Hi Guys and admin would also like to add that my thanks score is low but dont feel I have the experience yet to give experience answers. Rest assured I will contribute more - thanks.

Best Wishes

Howard

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problems Howard, sounds like you're in a difficult situation. I'd leave it a while before going self employed; try getting as much practice as possible with friends and family, if you have no luck getting a start with another tiler. :thumbsup:

Good luck
Scott

Reply to Tiling on Timber Floor 1st Level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen