Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on quarry tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

Welsh_red

I've always taken tiles off before tiling but my brother's father in law has asked me to tile his hallway before Christmas . For whatever reason he doesn't want the tiles pulled up and has asked me to tile over them .

Their old red quarry tiles , their incredibly solid on the ground . I've never gone over tiles before so this is new to me

My thinking is run a Sander over the quarry tiles to give a bit of key then SBR the whole floor ,let it thouroghly dry then tile over it .

What do you guys think ?

R

Rookery

Often and in older houses, quarries used to be laid on earth or sand so no solid bed. However, if you're happy with the integrity of them I would just clean, dry and paint a cement/sbr slurry coat on them and tile once dry. I wouldn't sand them.

L

LM

If they’re sound and solid then simply degrease them and use a primer such as Ardex P4 or equivalent and tile away.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If they are butt jointed they are almost certainly laid on a wet screed with a cement slurry.. Not a problem to tile over providing they are solid and sound..

Reply to Tiling on quarry tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen