Discuss Tiling On Asbestos Tile in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

ChiversTiling

Alright pros

What do people do when ya come to asbestos floor tiles?

Obviously not aload to touch them as been on Awareness courses, but can ya just lay on top if there stuck down right? Also what if there loose?

P

p4ulo

Do you mean the funny lino-looking square thin ones?
Best bet is to mask and glove up, seal off the room where you are working, and get them up and outta there. Your local tip will have a special area for dealing with them, just make sure you wrap them up in bin bags before you go. Mine came up nice and easy with a sharp scraper, none even broke!

C

ChiversTiling

Old square ones, been on asbestos awareness course and pretty much everything has asbestos but it's probably very minor asbestos in it, been told never to touch them but that means ya have to get the asbestos people in to rip them up as if I touch them I'd get in trouble and could get sued for touching them, so was just wondering if ya could just lay on top of them

B

billthetiler

As P4ulo says, they should really be removed. You should wear disposable overalls, mask, gloves and boots with no lace holes in them. Wellies will do. Strictly speaking you need a risk assessment, remove the tiles with as little breakage as possible. They should really then be double bagged in 100 micron polythene, taped up and marked. My local council offers a free collection service for asbetos products once a week. Better to remove them than leave them down for another 20 years or more for the next poor sod to deal with! Do a little internet research for proper procedures. Oh, and take a few pictures while you are doing the removal just to prove you took precautions, no come-backs then.

P

p4ulo

Not something I'd imagine possible, having said that, people have quoted a primer which they would have used on lino so maybe hang fire......?

Reply to Tiling On Asbestos Tile in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks