Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling on a cardboard wall!? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Pleased to see this come up again as I have the same walls and have been debating what to do. I read somewhere in previous discussions on the forum that you could overboard with marmox boards using adhesive and plasterboard fixings. I think marmox do long boards too so you would at least have fixings into the timber batten at the top and bottom of each board? What kind of weight you would put on this of course I'm not sure, probably only ceramic?

My worry with ripping off the whole side is that you're weakening the wall significantly during the process - how do you make sure you don't damage the remaining wall?

I'm a DIYer so not speaking from any position of experience, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts so I can decide between the two options!

Q

Qwerty

Only you will know this as you will be working on it. Obviously if you have things bolted to the other side you will gave issues. If not then with care and a gentle hand it will come away just fine.

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Sorry to pull this thread up again, but did you do any reinforcement of the joist(s) below the wall? As I understand it, stud partitions should normally have doubled-up joists under them, but because these Paramount walls are lightweight, there was often only a single joist under them? Presumably once you re-stud them they're quite a bit heavier thanks to the timber...?

D

Dumbo

Sorry to pull this thread up again, but did you do any reinforcement of the joist(s) below the wall? As I understand it, stud partitions should normally have doubled-up joists under them, but because these Paramount walls are lightweight, there was often only a single joist under them? Presumably once you re-stud them they're quite a bit heavier thanks to the timber...?
I think that would only apply if they are structural stud walls . In building my house within the last five years we were not advised by the structural engineer or building control to do this .

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Building Regulations: Structural support | Internal walls | Planning Portal - https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/33/internal_walls/6

"With timber or metal frame walls it is normally acceptable to support them on the existing floor joists (not the floor boards), either by providing a double floor joist underneath, if they run parallel, or across the existing joists if the floor joists run at 90° to the wall."

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/sites/haringeygovuk/files/note07_-_domestic_timber_floors.pdf

"Floor joists must also be doubled up and bolted together under timber partition walls, and in bathrooms due to the weight of a filled bath additional joists must be provided under the bath"

Are what got me worried.

Reply to Tiling on a cardboard wall!? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks