Discuss Tiling bath-end shelf in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

ChipRivers

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in but appeared to be the most appropritate. As you will have seen from my initial post if you read it, I am new to tiling so please excuse my ignorance.

I have just successfully installed a new bath in my bathroom and am about to start putting in the timbers to hold the bath panel and the filler shelf behind the taps to the wall. I intend to tile this shelf so need to calculate what level to put it at.

Should the top of the tiles when put on the shelf be flush with the top edge of the bath rim or slightly higher?

What thickness should I allow for the adhesive when I calculate what height the timber shelf needs to sit at to ensure the answer to my first question.

Many thanks in advance.

C

CDS

Hi Chip!
You can do either - Finishing flush to the bath probably looks better and is how I would do it. How deep is the shelf going to be? Will you have shower fitted? The reason I ask is that the problem with finishing flush is that you can get a bit of a water trap. You'll need to ensure that once tiled the shelf doesn't slope down into the wall - Ideally you want a shallow slope going from wall down to bath so water isn't static and has a chance to runoff.

How are you fixing tiles? Want to allow 4-6 mm for adhesive depending on trowel and adhesive?

Reply to Tiling bath-end shelf in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay