Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling an Asphalt floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hello folks
just a bit of advice needed I'm doing a 60 m trav floor next week and the substrate will be asphalt ,I've tiled on this before but with this being a big stone floor I was wondering wether I'd be better putting some slc over it or wether I should just primer it ( does asphalt need priming) or both thanks in advance

Reaction score
Re: Asphalt floor

The client has ordered all the materials from his friend who owns a tile shop in Leeds that has give him it at cost. It is getting delivered tomorrow so ill go round and check it all before I start it at the end of next week, hoping that it's going to be good stuff with it being from a tile shop if not I'll make him swap it

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score

Asphalt? Can i see a piccy please?

I presume this is the same as a bitumen screed? Have you put a hole in it to see how deep it is and what's underneath?

Last edited:
Reaction score

Asphalt? Can i see a piccy please?

I presume this is the same as a bitumen screed? Have you put a hole in it to see how deep it is and what's underneath?
Hello aligate
There was wood blocks down originally which I advised him to take up because the odd patch was loose, I popped round there to see how the job was coming along last week and it's a solid floor underneath its getting asphalt put down tomorrow which is going to be put down about 2 to 3 inch thick. Asphalt is a bitumen floor I think they pour it out hot and trowel it out

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score

I believe as long as it's floor grade asphalt/bitumen you can tile straight to it. If it's going to be level and 2"-3" thick i don't see the need for SLC. As for wether or not it needs to be primed, i'm not sure to be totally honest. As it's technically tarmac i wouldn't see the need to. I could be wrong but i don't think it will be pourous (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
Just make sure the floor is clean, dry and free from dust etc.

Don't forget your piccies!

B

BARRONBATHROOMS

Sounds a nice job Peter. Is it tumbled or honed. Hope the floor is flat for you!

Reaction score

Thanks for advise aligate
i went round to check the trav and the adhesive today the trav was 600x300 decent quality and the adhesive was weber which I was happy about, on phoning there tec team to ask about the primer they informed me that you can't tile on top of asphalt :yikes: And I would need to put a floating floor in instead. I told the client this and he told me it was a mastic asphalt would this make any difference so I called the tec team back and spoke to a new fella who said I would be ok if it was a floor grade asphalt(as you said) but maybe better putting a floating floor in so I think there's going to have to be another site meeting to make a decision on what to do.
Alright Matthew how's it going mate ye should be a nice job theres 60m on the floor and an upstairs bathroom about 20m and a down stairs tiolet/shower room all in honed travertine about 100 m in all ill take some pictures to show you,
p.s. sorry aligate I could of taken some pictures today but the first phone call to the tec team threw me a bit and I forgot haha I will take some tho :thumbsup:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hey Tobins,

As i said i'm not 100% confident in my answers. But, i don't understand Webers advice.
I've been thinking about previous jobs where i may have come across this. I had a bathroom in a bungalow last year that had a bitumen type screen over concrete. It was about 2" deep. I gave it a tap in places and despite being 50mm think i heard a few hollows. When i knocked through the bitumen i found that in places it hadn't bonded to the concrete. The bitumen came out in one, very solid lump. The underside was "dusty" to look at (if that makes sense). On this occassion i got the SDS into it and took the floor back to the concrete.
So i would have a stab at this:

As long as the concrete underneath was clean, dry, dust free etc and primed the bitumen would bond sucessfully. I would imagine also that bitumen has a certain amount of elasticity. So maybe a de-coupler and tiles installed with a single part flexible would do just the job.

I'm pretty certain that it would be fine and there is no need to construct a floating floor. I'm sure someone would of corrected me by now if i was wrong. Wish i could be 100% certain but i haven't come accross this scenario before. But as i said above is what i would do.

Reaction score
Thanks again allister, I have heard from the client again today who said he had met the builder and they phoned the tec team and explained about the asphalt and they they've ok'ed it( or that's what there telling me ). I have been trying to get him to put a de coupler in but he price is to much for him and all Im getting my friend who owns a tile shop said we don't need one and the builder said so to.:mad2: I'm just trying to pass on my advice so he doesn't have problems when the kitchen is sat on top of the tiles and skirts ect. I have brought up the issue of the asphalt bonding to the floor properly as its a bit dusty at the moment and told him to make sure it's primed and he said he's aready had a conversation about this and they are going to do it. I start the upstairs bathroom Friday so I'll start with the pictures then, oh ive also been asked if i want the asphalt polished or with sand on ? Any ideas there. won't be working Saturday tho cos I'm off to wembley for the fa cup final:drool5:

Last edited:
Reaction score
hello mate
I wouldn't recommend to tile straight on to asphalt as it reacts to temperature changes, when temp rise it softens up, best option would be to screed all floor where stone will be, even that floating method using uncoupling membrane might not help,
I had issues with it before
good luck with your project

Reaction score
Hi don tiler do you recommend a sand and cement screed. I keep telling the client that we need to get this before we start but I feel like he's listening to other people rather than the tiler. Basically he's saying he's been told by a few other people that it's fine to tile it so go ahead and do it , even tho I've raised my concerns Im still a bit dubious......:mad2:

Reply to Tiling an Asphalt floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen