Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling A Bathtub/ shower encloser in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JayBird1

Hi
I'm a newbie starting a marble tiling project on my bathtub/ shower.
I've been 2 a bunch of tile shops looking for the right tile. My wife claims I'm color challenged. When I saw this marble at a Home Depot I knew it was what I was looking for. After taking it home & looking at it in the bathroom the colors worked perfectly. Now the fun begins.

Do I have to be concerned with translucense? The tile is light colored with rose tones.

When tiling with marble are there any unique considerations?

Glad to be aboard. Thanks In Advance (TIA) for any & all help! :shades_smile:

Jay D.

V

Varley

Hi JayBird1, welcome to the forums.

If the marble you are using is light coloured then use a white adhesive and possibly even back skim the tile to prevent any shadows showing through.

The tiles will have to be sealed as marble is very porus, I use Lithofen Stain Stop, but there are other good sealers on the market, just make sure which ever brand you use that the sealer is suitable for marble.

Good luck m8! :)
----
Added post information (due to double posting):
----
You will also need to make sure the weight ratio of the walls is correct for the weight of the tiles you are using, plaster render can support a weight of up to 20kg per sm.
----
----
Plus the adhesive should be a flexi cement based.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GazTech

Hi JayBird1, welcome to the forums.

If the marble you are using is light coloured then use a white adhesive and possibly even back skim the tile to prevent any shadows showing through.

The tiles will have to be sealed as marble is very porus, I use Lithofen Stain Stop, but there are other good sealers on the market, just make sure which ever brand you use that the sealer is suitable for marble.

Good luck m8! :)
----
----
You will also need to make sure the weight ratio of the walls is correct for the weight of the tiles you are using, plaster render can support a weight of up to 20kg per sm.
----
----
Plus the adhesive should be a flexi cement based.
as usual on the money varley,hold the tile up to the light if you can see your hand through it it has to be white adhesive as Varley said and marble impregnator We have Fila at our place for polished marble very good stuff:)

V

Varley

May also be worth thinking about getting the area tankes aswell, i would always recommend that for a shower area.

G

GazTech

May also be worth thinking about getting the area tankes aswell, i would always recommend that for a shower area.
once again V...spot on M8
icon12.gif

J

JayBird1

Thanks for your response.
I'm using 1/2"m hardiback, so the weight shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks again
JayBird

Reply to Tiling A Bathtub/ shower encloser in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen