Discuss Tile size and filling in walls. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jimb

Hi I'm going to tile my bathroom with 300*416*9.4 ceramic tiles and have a couple of questions, firstly I have read that for larger tiles it's better to use a cement adhesive so was wondering if these will be alright with a normal adhesive or not (they look large to me but there was some absolutely massive ones in the shop)?

Secondly I've cut 2 channels out of the wall running into the loft for the pipes to go into a new shower, I don't really know what I should use to fill in the gap and bury the pipes, I would like it to be something that dries fast so I can get tiling (I've see you should leave plaster for 4 weeks). It's probably obvious what to use but I have no experience.

Thanks in advance.
Jim.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

If your,ve got to pack out any tiles with the tubbed gear, It will take age to set so use powdered addy and use it to fill in any chases in your wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Hello jim and welcome to tilers forums.............

I would use a cement based adhesive if i was you.....and just fill in the channel with the adhesive.........prime any areas first........:)...

J

Jimb

Thanks guys, I think I will use BAL Goldstar adhesive (unless you could recommend another), should I fill in the channel with it and let it dry then tile over after or fill in and tile at the same time? Also it wont effect the copper pipes will it?

D

DHTiling

BAL gold star is grey adhesive...you will be better off using BAL CTF3 it is white..

W

White Room

Good point, With cement the pipes should taped over with masking tape or similar so the addy don,t have contact with copper, Use white adhesive if your grout joints are going to be a light colour

D

DHTiling

It also depends on the type of cement in the adhesive.....I think tile adhesive will be ok it mainly the magnesium type cements that corrode copper i think but feel free to correct me on this......but if in doubt then either cover the pipes or use a gypsum based patch plaster...

W

White Room

Probably Just me being over cautious, When you see pipes that been corroded and a wet screed just makes me a little bit edgey:thumbsup:

Reply to Tile size and filling in walls. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hello I have an external hollow block wall which is really brittle and uneven. Although I will...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Good Evening, I installed 12x24 wall tile in my shower remodel. I realize now that I should have...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley