Search the forum,

Discuss Thistle one coat Plaster in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Waluigi

anyone use this for tiling onto?

Obviously lightweight tiles only as per most other plaster finishes. It seems crazy to do a float and set on some walls when a one coat system would work fine.

I trowelled a wall with it yesterday after I did my homework. I’ve previously not used it as a prep for tiling because i’ve Never considered it suitable.

O

One Day

Never. If "plastering" is needed, I will either re-board or patch up with sand and cement render.
No gypsum on my walls ever, if I have my way.
Occasionally I have to tile onto pinked walls, but then it's ceramics or thin porcelain only and I moan like mad about it!

W

Waluigi

The tiles I’m using are small ceramics. I don’t get that many occasions where I’d have to plaster but this is one of them. Not enough space to re board. Not enough space for a two coat system really. Definitely not enough for a S&C render so one coat it is. I didn’t want to come out any more than about 10mm

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Waluigi

I’m a big re-boarder and do it on most jobs.

This is what I had. Plaster was rock solid. A couple of holes to fill from integrated soap dishes.

One coat was the answer. Knocking the old plaster off and a two coat system wasn’t an option IMO.

86D31DC9-98D4-43A1-9DF4-A768654FB5A4.jpeg

W

Waluigi

Noooo. That wall was the one I one coated. That’s what the thread is about- me not knowing you can tile onto one coat. It’s got a tough finish to it. As usual with plaster, I lightly brush before final troweling, same with Multifinsih. Not a bad surface to tile with small ceramics IMHO.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Would a 6mm Hardie not be better or would that bring you out too far?

W

Waluigi

That was an option but the wall was too far out. The wall with the shower valve on has a door on it and I’m fighting to get a tray in. Tray is 1500 x 760. Already I’m having to chase the long wall out slightly.

Overall, one coat was my best option. It’s completly flat and Plumb now. Trust me, dot and dabbing was my first thought.

A serrated trowel and HB would’ve worked depth wise but the wall would be p1ssed.

Reply to Thistle one coat Plaster in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen