Search the forum,

Discuss Tanking Tape Install Help in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Stevev

TF
Reaction score
The trouble is Steve that all back grounds are normally gypsum which suck water up like a sponge, in 84 we rendered shower areas which were block based for the London underground in the lower areas of the office block which was being refurbed and they were for the engineers to have a shower and tiled with Quarry tiles.

Solid as you like.

so are you saying always tank OR use a hardi-backer type background and tank the seams?

W

White Room

so are you saying always tank OR use a hardi-backer type background and tank the seams?

What I'm saying is the materials used now for building are all dri lined for a speed construction and the general public want wet rooms which dos'nt allow gypsum to be used, yes they need tanking now due to the amount of water that gets pumped into a shower area.

Whatever system is used works for them and yourself.

Ger

TF
Reaction score
Water-resistant materials are not watertight. The tanking of water-resistant material makes them watertight. There are many different shower wall substrate materials in the market. Some are not water resistant, some are water resistant and some are watertight. Don't use non-water resistant materials, tank water resistant materials and at least tape watertight materials.

Stevev

TF
Reaction score
Just a thought.....if you get asked to re-tile the walls round a bath that has a shower over it...and the walls turn out to be render and plaster or even if it is dry-lined....bearing in mind the BS....would I need to take out bath and put water-resistant/tight backing up, tank put bath back..then seal the edge and then tile.?? seems a lot of bother and expense to re-tile...??

F

Flintstone

You don't have to do anything. Most people wouldn't go to that length, although it's the best way to do it

Reply to Tanking Tape Install Help in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen