Search the forum,

Discuss Substrate for shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

G

Grime

Hi - I'd be grateful for advice. I'm doing a shower area due to a leak and tile failure. One of the walls is made of plasterboard which has gone rotten, so I'm in the process of ripping it out. It seems that wall is comprised of 3 layers of plasterboard (one of which I'm removing) and I can't see any timber studs. The layer I'm removing seems to have been installed using dabbed tile adhesive and some screws.

My question is what should I do re a new substrate? I had planned to use 12mm Hardie and then tank it, but without timber studs that won't be possible.

I think my options are I get some timber and build a frame over the 2nd layer of plasterboard, or possibly install a new layer of plasterboard. Neither option feels right buy I don't want completely tear down that wall. What would you do in this situation?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

F

Flintstone

Strip it all back to the stud work, or the solid wall and go from there. Scrap the hardie, just use a waterproof board instead

O

Old Mod

I think you may find there is no studwork. The wall is possibly self supporting and only fitted with wall and floor plates effectively.
Can't remember what type of system this is but I've read threads on it.

B

Blunt Tool

I think you may find there is no studwork. The wall is possibly self supporting and only fitted with wall and floor plates effectively.
Can't remember what type of system this is but I've read threads on it.
Plyplaster?

M

Matt Bott

ok i came across this in a bathroom and as the plumber stripped tiles he ripped the outside part of the wall with it so you could see the stairs through the wall ball ache

Reply to Substrate for shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen