Search the forum,

Discuss Struggling with 3-way mitre trim in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

robbieee

Hello all,

Its my first attempt at a 3-way mitre trim like here:

DSCF0259.jpg

I have followed a how-to guide on here and on youtube but i just cant get it right!!! Can someone help or shed any light why i am so stupid??? (haha!)

S

Spud

are you cutting the trim with trim shears or using a hack saw? some trim crushes out of shape slightly when you use blunt shears

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
A lot ( well everything ) depends on the shape of the trim, if it's been crushed out of shape then you will never get it right.

R

robbieee

Its not crushed... I am using a mitre block and a junior hacksaw.

I am ok with the 2 bits of trim but its when the 3rd bit is introduced, i just cant get it.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The trim must be a perfect quadrant i.e. quarter circle. If not you will never get a perfect 3 way mitre.

R

robbieee

Avoid 3 way mitres and corner pieces, just use L shaped trim.

Where would i get a cream L shaped piece? I need to get this done tomorrow as i have the day off. Topps tiles?

The trim must be a perfect quadrant i.e. quarter circle. If not you will never get a perfect 3 way mitre.

Thats what i am thinking... I have attempted it a few times now. Usually if i don't get something first time, i will get it on the 2nd or even on the 3rd attempt.

Reaction score
3 way mitres are only perfect provided the pieces are fully at 90 degrees to each other. If the surface it is applied to it ain't square the pieces wont fit. So here come the instructions again. Cut 3 pieces to a standard mitre with the shortest edge on the inside. Draw this cut point across the trim to the outer edge taking care to draw exactly at 90 degrees to the cut edge. Now cut a compound mitre across each tip from the edge of the pencil mark. Remember to match your cut to the pencil mark (I prefer to cut to the edge of the pencil mark not in the middle). Everything must be done exactly. 2 or 3 attempts and you should get the hang of it. I personally use a pencil file to gently take the sharpness of the joint point as well.

R

robbieee

So what shop (not online, as i need to get done tomorrow) could i buy new cream trim 9mm and a L shaped corner piece? If i need to match them i will just buy new trim.

I

Ian

So what shop (not online, as i need to get done tomorrow) could i buy new cream trim 9mm and a L shaped corner piece? If i need to match them i will just buy new trim.

Most tile shops will do them, you don't need corner pieces, just mitre the horizontal two pieces and straight cut the vertical.

Reply to Struggling with 3-way mitre trim in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen