Search the forum,

Discuss Stone Mosaics in Bathroom - sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

judy

Hi wonder if anyone can help me. I'm having some travetine stone mosaics put in my bathroom and when I asked the plumber if he was going to seal them, he said he would do this after grouting. Is this correct, I thought they were supposed to be sealed before and after grouting or doesn't it really matter??

Also while he has gone to another job, he said I can still use the bath and the tiles would be ok as long as I didnt splash too much water about! Whilst i'm not splashing water about they are getting covered in condensation when I have a bath - will this do them any harm as they have not been sealed.

D

doug boardley

I seal travertine after grouting Judy, not before. Water splashes won't harm them.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
As Doug for me to, seal after grouting, one thing though, make sure you allow enough time before last use of the bath and sealing so they can dry first.

Reaction score
Hi Judy, they can be sealed before and after grouting or after grouting, it depends on the experience of the tile fixer. If he's inexperienced with stone, I would recommend sealing before and after grouting to ensure that if the grout is left on a little too long, it's still possible to remove the grout fairly easily, and as mentioned a little moisture won't harm the tiles but may delay them drying out, as they need to be dry for sealing.:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Just to add , if they are tumbled and unfilled then sealing them can hinder the adherence of the grout into the tiny holes..

J

judy

Thanks to all of you for your help, you have eased my mind. Hopefully they will look good when he has finished, thats if he ever comes back !

Reply to Stone Mosaics in Bathroom - sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen