Search the forum,

Discuss Split Face Slate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Been asked to quote for fixing split face slate to an outside wall . First thought is a definite no as it can't be grouted . The wall does have a 750mm overhanging roof

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought that's wise due to water getting in any of the nooks and it turning to frost and blowing it like you see bricked walls that haven't had drainage holes put in.

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
If it is inside, buttons jointing it and not grouting it leaves and acceptable finish. Because it is outside personally I would use a 3mm joint and grout it with a pointing gun.

Lastly I generally 'overhang' them at an external corner, Mark them and grinder them all out when the are on the wall. I only cut the bottom and top cuttings prior to fitting. Measure twice, cut once as u only get 1 shot at it. It is much faster doing that than cutting them one at a time. Although this can't be done at an interal cut.

Reply to Split Face Slate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen