Search the forum,

Discuss something to watch if your new to tankng and want some opinions in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

set yaself half an hour aside and give this vid a watch... what do you think about him using the fibre glass roll? is it susceptible to cracking over time due to expansion/contraction? would like to hear opinions on weather this is a good way thanks

[video=youtube;-Ql2xnSU1b8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ql2xnSU1b8&app=desktop[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Tiler

Whoops lol I'll put the link on when I get to a comp. yes mate had a brilliant time with the kids just waiting for material money and me sexy new cutters then its off to Shropshire to replace the mother inlaws splash. How about you bud?

O

Old Mod

Whoops lol I'll put the link on when I get to a comp. yes mate had a brilliant time with the kids just waiting for material money and me sexy new cutters then its off to Shropshire to replace the mother inlaws splash. How about you bud?
Oh kool, good for u m8!
Yeah was great 3 days thanks. Consisted of running round like nutter Christmas Eve getting gifts for my wife from me and the kids. Sleeping most of Christmas Day, eating and copious amounts of vodka haha then ditto Boxing Day, and back to work yday and tday! Lovely! Haha but still a welcome break.
Will watch vid later. Bit busy right now, but thanks for asking Ash.

M

Mr Tiler

Jammy hit I tried as hard as I could to get drunk just wasn't happening I think all the food in me belly was keeping all the beer to itself lol. I think the hole country was back to work yesterday seems everything is back to normal already lol. Cheers

Q

Qwerty

Just watched the clip (scanned through it in 2 mins). Basically Ash that is a tanking gum (liquid membrane) using the fibre as a reinforcement tape. Essentially the same as the Bal, Mapei & Ardex systems out there.

I use Mapei who have a few different joint tapes (Mapeband) and fibre sheets (mapetex anti fracture membrane) available which when laid is impregnated with the gum (Mapegum, mapelastic or aqua defense) to provide a strong, flexible but waterproof installation.

Again, the gums can be applied by trowel, broad knife (or filing knife as in the video), roller, brush or even spray! I prefer to use a 4" or 10" roller with a 3" brush in the joints.

To answer your questions ash, no this type of installation shouldn't fail as the gum is a rubberised paint and is very flexible.

M

Mr Tiler

Thank you Geoff watched the whole installation of this project accept for the tiling yet. Very informative like coming away from this demonstrations with not many questions that way you can take it all on board and know it is done correctly. Thank ;)

O

Old Mod

Just watched the clip (scanned through it in 2 mins). Basically Ash that is a tanking gum (liquid membrane) using the fibre as a reinforcement tape. Essentially the same as the Bal, Mapei & Ardex systems out there.

I use Mapei who have a few different joint tapes (Mapeband) and fibre sheets (mapetex anti fracture membrane) available which when laid is impregnated with the gum (Mapegum, mapelastic or aqua defense) to provide a strong, flexible but waterproof installation.

Again, the gums can be applied by trowel, broad knife (or filing knife as in the video), roller, brush or even spray! I prefer to use a 4" or 10" roller with a 3" brush in the joints.

To answer your questions ash, no this type of installation shouldn't fail as the gum is a rubberised paint and is very flexible.
Yep great product, totally agree! Until u forget the tile you're going over the Ardex with is a translucent white mix! (Like I did!) Turning the jet black white first is no mean feat. Haha How do you tackle that Geoff?
Sorry, Hi I'm Marc by the way.

Reply to something to watch if your new to tankng and want some opinions in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen