Search the forum,

Discuss Site / Sub Work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Grace'sDad

6 months in to being self-employed and I've only ever done domestic work.

I've turned down two good commercial opptys early on, as I didn't feel ready then to tackle such big jobs.

Now I know I'm good to go, what do I need to do to be ready for site work? (apart from hard hat, boots and bum cleavage!)

Thanks guys:thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

CSCS card on most sites although it isnt strict on the ones i work on.
Hat , Hi Viz vest, Boots ( some sites dont allow safety trainers/shoes).
If you are contracting to a builder/building company then Insurance and method statements/Risk assesment. If you are a subbie then you should not have to bother.

G

Grace'sDad

Thanks Sir Ramic,
Isn't a CSCS card just a tax requirement (i.e. dead easy to get)? Or do you have to prove professional standards to get one?

G

Grace'sDad

Seeing as I used to sell H&S gear into sites then I should be pretty well set for the exam then!

G

Gazzer

Apply to do the exam which is done via a pc screen at their offices. You will get the H&S hand book and be told to read up on chapters 1 -16 (i think its 16). Then its down to the multiple choice test at a later stage. Very easy.

T

tysfoot

who do i contact to get work on commerial sites, how easy is it to get work and how is it different from doestic work.

G

Gazzer

Your best option is to contact the tiling company that has a site near you. The standard of work is faster paced and generally a lower standard. Dont read that as you can be rough though. The building company will be wanting to get work done as quick as possible and will be pushing hard even when you cant actually do the job because the bathroom etc hasnt actually been plastered yet :mad2:.... Yeah it happens but if you can get in there then its regular money, oh and dont think you will be getting £20 - £25 m2.

B

brummie tiler

Sir Ramic, where abouts are you mate. Do you know of any tiling companies around the Birmingham area looking for subbies? Bit short on work at the mo

G

Gazzer

Hiya , I am in Stourbridge, i will ask around but i have had a tough time getting back in with site work lately.

Reply to Site / Sub Work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen