Discuss Shower tray former: tiles and waste height in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Setting them out in a diamond layout would be easier than envelope cuts. Especially as they are slightly wider than the waste outlet.
OK great thanks for the reply. Would it still maintain the fall ok? The shower tray is a rectangle rather than a square so would be fine for the fall for the edge closest to the offset drain but would not follow a normal envelope cut on the opposite side.

Reaction score
Sorry the diamond layout would only really work with a square former, so only 'envelope' cuts would work with those size tiles.. if you are still undecided or in the process of choosing a 50mm square mosaic (10mm thick?) might work out better.

Reaction score
I have been trying to cut the tiles into four using a wet tile cutter; to make up a mosiac of smaller tiles that will follow the fall. I have got the measurements correct but the cuts are not very clean and are chipping. I have tried two different new ATS diamond blades but am getting the same result; one is slightly better than the other.

You can probably see from the photos that they are contoured tiles. Has anyone got any suggestions for how best to cut them to get a clean edge. I would imagine a manual tile cutter would be worse because of the contoured finish but am open to hiring one or buying a lower end decent one.

Any suggestions are welcome as I think cutting them down would be the solution but am not happy with the chipping using my current method.

Thanks,

Daz

Joshjupp

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I use a grinder with a diamond blade on envelope cuts to allow for a grout joint some tiles do chip if that happens use a wet sponge against the blade while cutting and then clean the edges up with a diamond pad
[automerge]1578244311[/automerge]
Put a picture up of what you’re trying to do

Reaction score
Trying to cut the black porcelain tiles into four which I will then stick to a mosiac mesh so that they will follow the fall of the shower former.

IMG_20200105_174021.jpg

Close up of the cuts :

IMG_20200105_174034.jpg

As you can see there's a fair amount of chips, even with new diamond porcelain blades.

D

Dumbo

I would cut with a manual cutter , take of sharp edge with diamond hand pads. Would bother sticking to mosaic sheet , probably more hassle than it's worth , just fix the tiles in one by one using 2mm spacer . Mosaic sheet is just extra handling as you would have to line them up on the sheet and not so easy to adjust if you don't land the individual on the sheet first time where as fixing them direct to tray you can slide or twist them until they look right ,

Reaction score
I would cut with a manual cutter , take of sharp edge with diamond hand pads. Would bother sticking to mosaic sheet , probably more hassle than it's worth , just fix the tiles in one by one using 2mm spacer . Mosaic sheet is just extra handling as you would have to line them up on the sheet and not so easy to adjust if you don't land the individual on the sheet first time where as fixing them direct to tray you can slide or twist them until they look right ,

Great thanks for the reply. What manual tile cutter would you recommend that would give a clean cut on these contoured tiles? Would the cutter wheel cope with the uneven contour OK?

Many thanks.

D

Dumbo

For repetitive cutting I would use a sigma max cutter, by the way the whole tile in the picture doesn't look square , that won't help things .

Reaction score
For repetitive cutting I would use a sigma max cutter, by the way the whole tile in the picture doesn't look square , that won't help things .

Thanks, I'll have a look.

The tiles are perfectly square, I've checked. It must be just the angle of the camera when I took the picture that makes it look out of square.

Reply to Shower tray former: tiles and waste height in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks