Search the forum,

Discuss Setting out brick bond from natural centre point causes thin cuts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

SlippySlipster

Hi,

I was looking for a bit of advice i have read various posts on here regarding brick bond layouts and several say to avoid having slithers everywhere.

I was wondering what constitutes a slither!!

I have mocked a layout up on my PC (See below) and using a desirable starting point centred to my extractor fan; it would appear that i will be left with two thin cuts into the internal corners.

I have ran my layout around the rest of the room and it seems that the only way i can avoid the thin cuts is to have a strange centre starting point which makes the focal point of the kitchen hob / extractor be not centred in the brick bond.

My tiles are 200 x 100 x 7mm Metro beveled tiles in two colours separated by a 10mm Brushed Steel pencil bar 2mm Grout lines.

Looking at my layout do you think the short 20mm / 10mm cuts are too small and if so how would you correct the issue?

I'm new to tiling and strictly a DIY'er so any advice would be helpful sorry for any stupid questions.

Thanks in advance
Jon

TileLayoutVerticalSlithers.jpg

S

SlippySlipster

Thanks Dave,

May have had a can't see the wood for the trees moment never crossed my mind about changing the gap...

I adjusted my layout to a 3mm gap and now i have a gap to the left of 12mm and on the right 8mm on the full tile row the half tile is spot on now.

How do you get round that do you use the depth of the tile on the other wall and a bit of extra grout?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

I'd work the full tile from the worktop (assuming level) and down to the floor.

:welcome: And enjoy!

P

Protilers

i would go with what you have.......(centre of cooker/extractor)........as long as your wraps are correct....the "slithers" wont be visable....and it will look better overall!

S

SlippySlipster

Thanks for your advice,

I have made the alteration to the plan and have the below two layouts although moving to the centre line 50mm has given me the desired 3/4 1/4 bond which is great, because it has moved the centre away from where the focal point of the room is i prefer the way the 3mm with the slight gaps looks.

3/4 1/4 off centre

TileLayoutVertical3mm7525.jpg

3mm Grout centered left 12mm gap and right 8mm gap

TileLayoutVertical3mm.jpg

Can you please advise me of how i can fill the gaps to make them look correct.

Would it be a case of just doing very thin cuts and wrapping the rest of the tile round on to the next wall?

I

IHB

The 1/4 3/4 bond would look better if you removed your now off centre, centre line. I think it's the line that's drawing the eye and making it look wrong.

Reply to Setting out brick bond from natural centre point causes thin cuts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen