Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Self levelling over UFH mats - how to get it flat? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

cirlam

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm tiling my 12m^2 conservatory - Concrete base, Self levelled, 20mm Jackoboards, Prowarm mat, self levelling compound, then 600mm square porcelain tiles.
So far I have self levelled the base, and stuck the jackoboards down - all really nice and flat so far.

Now I need to fit the UFH mat, and self level over the top - how do you ensure you get a good finish (flat/level) over a relatively large area?

Everywhere I've researched just shows people trowelling the SLC over the mats. When I've tried to use self levelling compound this way before (just trowelling it freehand), I have had really poor results - recently I've been resorting to setting out wooden battens (levelled on the heads of screws ~25cm apart) to form bays, and pulling a straight edge across it.
This gives me great results, but is time consuming and I don't really want to put loads of screws into my insulation boards If I can avoid it.

cirlam

-
Reaction score
Thanks - do you screw straight into the insulation boards then?

Was considering using strips of a 6mm jackoboard between the UFH runs to create rails that I can pull a straight edge across. Although maybe a bit overkill..

cirlam

-
Reaction score
Thanks - I ended up using strips of electrical conduit covers (about 5mm high) to form bays. Worked a treat, and easy to pull the plastic conduit up out of the self leveller when dry

Reply to Self levelling over UFH mats - how to get it flat? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks