Discuss Sealing around shower door frame. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

The Enforcer

I have refitted my ensuite and I have made it to the last step only to run into trouble I cant seem to fix.

I have a tiled shower floor with wet room tray underneath, all tanked etc and tiled the walls. Sliding shower door frame fitted. Siliconed up where the metal meets the tile but I keep getting a tiny amount of water though the frame.

I have removed the silicone, cleaned it up, refitted but still the same problem - only slightly better this time. It is somewhat "submerged" as it gains about 1cm of water as the 4bar pump through the Grohe RainShower really dumps it out.

Should I have primed the shower door frame or anything like that ?

T

The Enforcer

Both sides actually.
But since removing, just the inside.
Im sure thats what the destructions said to do.

W

Waluigi

Which shower screen brand is it?

I’ve never installed a screen that suggested you seal the inside. Not the bottom horizontal profile anyway.

There are quite precise instructions for sealing shower screens depending on the type. Perhaps if you posted a photo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

What silicone? Mapei or Dow Corning would be my choice. Use a Fugi tool to smooth it out. Ensure its all thoroughly de-greased before

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My guess is it is coming through where the horizontal and vertical parts of the frame meet or as you have a build up of water within the enclosure it’s making its way between the wall channel and frame.

T

The Enforcer

My guess is it is coming through where the horizontal and vertical parts of the frame meet or as you have a build up of water within the enclosure it’s making its way between the wall channel and frame.
This is what I think. I think it was making its way through the wall channel and it was coming out where the lower horizontal met the upright.

Photos to follow.

T

The Enforcer

Here are the photos of the room (my first real effort at tiling) and the shower enclosure.

Its currently not sealed on the outside. But it is on the inside. After studying the destructions - it doesnt seem that it should be sealed on the inside. RTFM!

But even so - when it was sealed on both sides - the water still got in and came through where the lower bar meets the side bars. IMG_20190318_194448.jpg IMG_20190318_194424.jpg IMG_20190318_194356.jpg IMG_20190318_194345.jpg

D

Dumbo

I have refitted my ensuite and I have made it to the last step only to run into trouble I cant seem to fix.

I have a tiled shower floor with wet room tray underneath, all tanked etc and tiled the walls. Sliding shower door frame fitted. Siliconed up where the metal meets the tile but I keep getting a tiny amount of water though the frame.

I have removed the silicone, cleaned it up, refitted but still the same problem - only slightly better this time. It is somewhat "submerged" as it gains about 1cm of water as the 4bar pump through the Grohe RainShower really dumps it out.

Should I have primed the shower door frame or anything like that ?
I know it's a bit late now but may be you should of thought about how much water your drain could deal with when fitting your shower pump .

W

Waluigi

That’s a standard framed screen.

Before installing the screen, the joint between wall and floor needs siliconing and the silicone to have set.

Then seal both vertical horizontal profiles on the inside where the profiles meet the tiles, from the top of the profile to the bottom and no more.

Then on the outside you want to seal the the vertical profiles as they meet the tiles and all along the bottom profile as it meets the floor.

Also the section where the main screen slides into the compensating profile up about an inch to 4”

Also if the screens horizontal profile screws into the vertical profile, that needs a bead too.

A pic to show the detail. Silicone isn’t yet smoothed off. Red marker to show the sealant.

All screens have the same principle.

1D84B284-1332-43E9-9195-ABAB15FE3E64.jpeg

388850DA-9CF0-4641-AEE6-EE93DAF8BF68.jpeg

52FDF8D3-C20A-46D6-8064-2D67CE3D45AF.jpeg

W

WetSaw

Usually only the outside wants silicone so that water doesn't get trapped. If it's filling up you may have to restrict the water flow.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You are fine with silicone in the inside vertical channels but not on the bottom between channel and floor as condensation builds up inside the wall channel and this needs to drain back into the wet area.

T

The Enforcer

So I had silicone exactly along the red line - i just had it on the wrong side.

My (untrained) logic was to stop the water getting under there in the first place. But I guess it makes sense to let it in and out without trapping it.

It isnt so much the problem with the rates of flow and waste, more that my tiling game isnt quite on point and it seems to build up in that corner only.
Its an awesome shower when its going - certainly beats the salmon suite and green carpet that we had ! It looks pretty - just cant use it at the moment.

Reply to Sealing around shower door frame. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks